Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Traces of milk left on storage bottles

Default Traces of milk left on storage bottles

I pump a few times a day and store the milk in Medela bottles in the fridge for two days or so. I wash the bottles and pump parts in the dishwasher top rack. I find that sometimes traces of milk are left in the bottles, and also that sometimes the rubber pump parts (the round rings) feel a little greasy.

Any experience with this? Does the dishwasher routine require hand-washing every so often to do a really thorough job?

Many thanks!
    Miriam

Default Re: Traces of milk left on storage bottles

Yep, hand washing is your friend for taking out 100% of the fat from the sides of the bottle. This is particularly true if you are using plastic bottles, as fat sticks better to plastic than it does to glass.

Sorry, I am sure that's not the answer you want to hear!

ETA: is your baby's name Gili? I love that name! We only have one in the family, but she's my favorite cousin-in-law.

Default Re: Traces of milk left on storage bottles

Ah, thanks so much. Right....not what I wanted to hear. But I _do_ want clean hygienic bottles! (I am assuming correctly that milk traces would be unhygienic?).

Yes yes, my first child, now almost six, is Gili! A boy. Short for Gilad. I also love the name!

Thanks again for advising me. This forum has helped me so much over the years.

Miriam