Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding after lip/tongue tie

Default Breastfeeding after lip/tongue tie

Hi ladies. I haven't been on the forum in about two years, not since my first was a baby. I just recently had my second son. He's 6 weeks, will be 7 next Tuesday.

We've had a bumpy ride since birth: jaundice, latch issues, thrush, gas and reflux, mastitis, lip and tongue ties, and colic.

This past Tuesday we had the lip and tongue tie issue fixed. The first day he nursed well and the secon he did ok but since then, he's had this problem of me latching him and then him pulling off to only suckle on the nipple. They're bruised and sore and it's getting to where every time I nurse I am in pain and just want to stop. Nursing takes longer as well because I'm always relatching him. But he just unlatches. It's a fight.

I usually do football or cross cradle holds. Sometimes I do a laid back cradle. But any position is the same results.

I am just wondering if anyone has had problems like this before and how to handle it. I can pump and bottle feed but I'd rather nurse if possible.

And if anyone has tips on how to reduce the gas and reflux and colic that would be helpful too. Right now I'm hanging by a thread.

Default Re: Breastfeeding after lip/tongue tie

Welcome back and congratulations on the new baby!

If you want to nurse instead of pumping, I think the best thing you can do is to soldier on with nursing, and see a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, for some in-person help.

Have you tried the reclined position where baby is tummy-to-tummy with you, with his legs more or less going where yours go? That sort of position is often helpful for babies who "shallow up" their latch, because it enlists gravity to pull the baby's heavy head onto the breast instead of pulling it away from the breast. It may also be useful to have the LC show you the "nipple sandwich" technique, or at least to google it. The nipple sandwich is something that can help you cram maximum breast into a tiny mouth.

Gas, reflux, and colic are pretty much normal for all 6 week old babies. It's really a meter of degree that separates the normal from the troublesome. Can you tell us more about what you are seeing? Does it tend to strike or intensify at a particular time of day?