Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Food allergy?

Default Food allergy?

My baby boy is 19 weeks old. His weight is great (16.5lbs) and he has plenty of wet and dirty diapers. He nurses around every 2-2.5 hours. For the past couple weeks he has been spitting up a lot, almost every feeding and it's always quite a bit. He has also been having mucousy poops and bad gas. Does this sound like a cow's milk allergy and is it normal for this to develop at 4 months old? What can I do to help my little boy feel better?

Default Re: Food allergy?

What do you mean by "bad gas" -Smelly or painful?

Assuming there is anything unusual going on, allergy is probably the least likely cause. Some other possibilities:

Illness, a little virus or something.

Have you ever had any over production or fast letdown issues do you know?

Sometimes babies this age get a lot of milk when they nurse because they are getting really good at intake, but not so good yet at controlling the flow, so they overeat, basically. There is nothing wrong with this, as too much breastmilk is not going to cause any ongoing problems, and the situation fixes itself if baby is left alone to figure it out.

By bad gas I actually should have said frequent. It's pretty much all day and night but he doesn't seem to have any trouble passing it. But it does stink pretty bad.
    I did have oversupply and overactive letdown so that makes sense. He typically only nurses one side but I do nurse him to sleep so maybe he's eating to often? Is there anything I can do for him or does he have to work it out on his own? It definitely does seem to bother me more than it does him but if I can help I need to!

Another symptom I forgot to post is an eczema type rash on his belly and arms. When I was googling it showed as another symptom of allergy. Does that change anything?

Even a rash is not definitive as babies get rashes from contact allergens (like soap or detergent) over-bathing, from heat/sweat, drool...

If you want to explore the possibility of allergens to any of the foods you eat, here is a good source of info: http://www.bfmed.org/Media/Files/Pro...ish_120211.pdf

I wouldn't throw yourself down the allergy/intolerance rabbit hole for the stuff you're describing. Spit up is normal. Green poops are normal, provided the baby is growing at a normal rate. Mucousy poops are normal. Stinky toots are normal- it's one of the unsung joys of motherhood that older babies can produce the most noxious odors! As they get older and their digestive systems mature, a more adult-like aroma is totally normal.

I totally get that you're more upset by the toots and spit-up than he is. Moms are programmed to take their babies' outputs and cries and squirms really seriously! One of the hardest things to do as a mom is to know that not everything our kids do is our fault. Sometimes babies spit and cry and make alarming poops and it's not because we had a glass of milk or a cup of coffee. It's just the baby being a baby!