Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats going wrong?

Default Re: Whats going wrong?

Thanks again ladies!

You're right, support is thin on the ground. Breastfeeding is not the norm here although things are improving in the last few years after a lot of healthcare and government campaigning. I'm still surprised by the people who tell me that I've done my part and to stop, as they are well educated and some have medical backgrounds. I have another friend who at 5 months wants to keep going and is experiencing the same issues.

She and her baby would be a great person for my baby to see nursing, but unfortunately her baby has severe reflux and crys during feeds (even on meds) so I don't think that will help matters.
    I've contacted a lactation consultant and am waiting for her to come back to me with an appointment next week and I am going to see if there is a local support group that I can hook in with. In the meantime I will keep trying to dream feed her whenever I can get a window. She's a poor day sleeper but I can get 4 in overnight.

As for slow letdown, I do think from close observation that it may have a part to play. Initially when she tries to nurse there is no milk in her mouth or on her face and probably isn't for a minute or two......on the rare occasion that we get that far!

One last question I have (I hope you don't mind) is that after the first 4 months I started giving her a soother after her feeds when she was going to bed. This is because I was her way to get to sleep and some nights I was there for 2-3 hours- because as soon as I'd move her away she'd miss my warmth and wake up. It also meant that no-one else could put her to bed eg dad. So the soother has been in action for 5-6 weeks at this point and I'm wondering if it might be causing a problem (even though the 'striking' has only started in the last 2 weeks)?

Really appreciate your help.

Hi Ladies
    I wanted to come back to the thread to firstly say thanks for the help and also to update you on what was going on for me. Maybe it can help someone else. Maddieb as you suggested I went to my local lactation consultant, she could see that it was a real battle with the baby. Like you she was unsure what exactly was going on and she suggested that I have my bloods checked including my thyroid function as it can affect let down so I went to my GP.

Anyway I got a call form the GP to come in a couple of the days later. Apparently, my TSH was nearly 40 (when it should have been under 2.5) and my T4 was very low. So I was/am very hypothyroid- the doctor couldn't understand how I was coping and wasn't exhausted (I was tired but thought it was having a baby). Apparently, I have post-partum thyroiditis (I never had a thyroid issue before the baby).

An interesting thing is that while I'm hypo and am tired, I am also struggling to keep weight on and apparently this is something that happens with postpartum thyroiditis ie you can have a mixture of hypo/hyper symptoms. So I'm now on thyroxine but it's a slow turn around and while my letdown has improved I'm still having issues.

Thanks to you ladies I've been employing all the advice and its helping to keep things going while I wait for things to fully resolve. These are some of the things that have really helped me-
    1) I don't push the baby to feed. Now when she gets upset- I sit her up for a minute and try to distract her before trying again. That way she is more willing to keep trying.
    2) I pop a favorite toy in her hand when she's feeding. She seems to get comfort from rubbing it when the milk isn't coming and is less inclined to refuse.
    3) Clicking noises and singing also seem to keep her trying for longer.
    4) I try and keep myself calm (because its stressful her being so agitated). I close my eyes and take a few deep breaths. This also seems to help with milk letdown.
    5) I've kept pumping for 10-20 mins a few times a day even though I get very little milk to keep my supply up.
    6) when things are really bad I give some formula and switch her onto the breast once the edge is off her frustration.

It's hard going but I'm getting there, I'm looking at 6-8 weeks before I see a significant improvement. Thanks for all the help and great advice, I nearly gave up without it and I'm hoping I'll get back to EBF!

Thank you for the update and explanation about your experience, as well as your tips for other moms. I love those ideas.
    Wow I hope mommal stops in and sees this. She is always urging moms to get their thyroid function checked!

Absolutely, it's a simple 2 minute blood test and worth doing before you throw in the towel!

I am glad you figured it out! I am really proud of you for sticking with it. Breastfeeding doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing. And if using formula helps you keep at it, then I am glad that it's a tool available to you. Do you have any idea what your ratio looks like at this point?

Way too lazy for formula

Just had my levels done - TSH is 2.2 and T4 is 14 so I'm back in normal range. I still don't fell 100% but my supply is much better, confirmed by babys renewed enthusiasm to breastfeed!

The other tip I would add is (as written elsewhere) is try and feed with as few clothes (top half!) as possible so there is more skin contact. That also kept her trying longer and she was way more relaxed. Not always possible I know.

Breastfeeding is a great thing to do for your baby - I have got the whole way through the winter without her getting sick among other things.

Thanks again for all your help!

Thanks so much for the updates! Your experience may well be the a-ha moment for other moms to get their levels checked if they're seeing the same kinds of signs.

I'm so glad to hear treatment is working and breastfeeding is going better!