Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Super worried

Default Super worried

I've started my 6mos old baby on solids. He will be 7 mos soon. I sometimes mix cereal into his baby food because otherwise he won't eat cereal. I've noticed solids cause him to be constipated. To loosen up his food I mix water. He also drinks juice with water but not even an Oz in one sitting. I'm very worried I'm causing water intoxication. What am I doing wrong?

Default Re: Super worried

Mixing the water helped him get back to loose stools versus thick paste like stools or constipation.

I am not sure you could be causing water intoxication if baby is getting very little water. But my question would be why your baby needs water at all, or juice.

Breastmilk contains every thing a baby needs and nothing baby does not need. So it is perfectly hydrating and entirely healthy. If a baby cannot get enough breastmilk to gain normally, the appropriate alternative is infant formula, not water or juice.

One problem with water and juice for the breastfed baby is they both will cause baby to nurse less and consequently, to get less breast milk.

Most baby cereal is constipating no matter how it is prepared. There is no reason to start with cereals.

There is also no rule that babies must start solids by 6 months. This is a generally accepted guideline for when solids are to be "introduced" but "introduced" is open to very wide interpretation. It does not mean baby needs solids every day or anything like it. Many babies are not really ready for solids until several months later. Assuming normal health and weight gain, you can probably eliminate solids or cut way way back on them. And if baby is NOT gaining well, solids usually make that worse unless they are very high cal, high fat solids as almost no baby foods are. Eliminating or cutting way back on solids would almost surely eliminate the constipation without having to take the possibly unhealthy steps of giving baby any juice or water.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; March 29th, 2017 at 11:15 PM.

Baby Cereal specifically causes constipation while adding no real value in terms of nutrition. If you want to feed your baby cereal I would feed him steel cut oats with fruit. But I would skip the baby cereal that has nothing in it except the stuff they fortify it with and just feed him iron rich foods and foods that naturally have those vitamins in them.

Way too lazy for formula