Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk

Default Milk

Hey everyone. I need some help and hopefully some of you. I go back to work next week, and right now I exclusively breastfeed but I pump too. Anyway I started pumping since LO was born. Right now, I have well over 900 oz of milk in a deep freezer. I also store milk in the fridge when I am the gym or in case of emergency. My plan is to pump the morning of if I have time, if not I will give what I have in the fridge. My think is if I use fresh milk plus whats in the fridge if I have stored it what should I do with all the other milk. My thing is I dont want for the freezer ones to go to waste. Do you think its possible that I can use the ones in the freezer. Mind you I dont work everyday due to working a 10 hour shift. So t he days I am not working I am breastfeeding and pumping. I am at a lost on how I should use this milk. Please give advice.

Default Re: Milk

Hi! I think your baby is about 3 months old? Please let me know if that is incorrect.

So, you now have a large stash of milk, possibly more than you are likely to need. So I am not really sure what you are asking, so I hope the following makes sense.

If you are working a 10 hour day it is most likely you will need to pump 3 times when at work, at least to start. I am unclear if that is your plan? But the reason for that, even if you have lots of milk stored to give baby, is so that you do not become engorged and uncomfortable and possibly ill at work, and also so your milk production does not become harmed.

Since it sounds to me as if you must have a pretty good milk production, I think it is entirely possible you will pump enough when at work to leave for baby the next work day.

Of course you could freeze some of what you pump when at work, give baby some of the frozen milk, and rotate things that way so you use up the older frozen milk before it "expires." This would be perfectly fine. Just be sure everything is labeled very well for dates.

Here is storage info, because how long frozen milk is considered safe depends on the freezer type. There is a wide range because these are global guidelines. If you live somewhere where power outages are rare and you have modern appliances that run on electricity and tend to keep a steady temp, your milk is more likely to last longer than in other situations. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...toringmilk.pdf