Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Are EBF babies more prone to constipation?

Default Are EBF babies more prone to constipation?

Hi ladies. I don't know if this is the right spot for this post. My beautiful girl is 7 months old and we have begun introducing solids. Mostly purees, in small amounts and we're still breastfeeding like crazy. We've skipped cereals and steer clear of the foods that I know to constipate (bananas, etc). I give lots of green fruits and veggies. But she still gets constipated. I don't feel like we're overdoing it with the amounts she's getting. The same happened with our first child (also EBF).
    Do breastfed babies tend to take longer to adjust to solids?

Default Re: Are EBF babies more prone to constipation?

So when you say constipation, you mean your baby since the introduction of solids has begun having small, hard, dark stool? Like rabbit pellets?

Way too lazy for formula

Not dark. But nugget like, and she's having trouble passing them. She cries when she tries to go. She produced several 'nuggets' today and yesterday with difficulty before having a more loose painless stool tonight.

Hi! So of course it is normal for poops to change once solids are introduced. I am not sure if nugget like is a problem (it depends on how moist over it is, how much it happens, etc,) but baby crying when she poops might indicate an issue...but maybe not constipation so much as, "hey this poop feels really different then what I was doing before and I am not sure I like it." On the other hand, straining to go, especially straining and NOT going, is clearly constipation, as are hard dry pellet poops as djs.mom suggests.

Sorry to get so specific but the problem is, lots of times constipation is suspected when in fact all is normal.

If you think your child is getting constipated from solids, I would suggest eliminate solids for now or cut way back.
    And no, breastfed babies are not more prone to constipation. If you do an online search about babies and constipation you will see that solids introduction is a time many babies start to have trouble in the department whether breast milk of formula fed. And the suggestion is the same for both- more breastmilk or formula, depending on which baby was eating before solids.

Since exclusive breastfeeding gradually and slowly transferring to eating solids is the biological norm for all humans and indeed all mammals, this is a pattern that is not going to result in abnormal results. Usually what is causing the constipation when any baby goes from a liquid diet to solid introduction is that that the solids are being introduced too early or too quickly for that particular baby. Babies normally vary in when they are "ready" for solids.

When it doubt, breastfeed more and hit all the P fruits. Pears, Prunes, peaches, plums. They usually get things moving. As well as the more milk.

Way too lazy for formula

Raisins - worked like a charm everytime during those first couple months of transition.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*littlecavemomma View Post
    Raisins - worked like a charm everytime during those first couple months of transition.
    Ohhh, that brings back a memory...

My son was on antibiotics for an ear infection was he was 2, and of course he got diarrhea part way through. Didn't surprise me; you can expect that with antibiotics.

But then, after he finished the course of antibiotics, the diarrhea just kept going, and I was starting to get concerned. And then I realized, that was the week he had decided the ONLY food he liked was raisins. He was eating tons of them and almost nothing else. I cut off his raisin supply, and the diarrhea cleared up immediately. I don't think it had anything to do with the antibiotics in the first place. So, yes, raisins can be pretty effective.

They might be hard for her to chew out of the box, though. They're softer cooked. Prune juice always worked well for my kids too, even in really tiny amounts.