Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I don't see my hind milk?

Default I don't see my hind milk?

I have a 10 day old. I have been breastfeeding, but his weight continues to decrease.

First I tried alternating every other feeding with breastfeeding on the breast and bottle feeding 2 oz. of my pumped milk. He didn't gain any weight.

Today the doctor told me to stop breastfeeding and pump exclusively. After breastfeeding him and then weighing him he hadn't gained anything. She doesn't think he is sucking hard enough. He often falls asleep on the breast even after I unswaddle him, chicken arm him, blow on him, etc.

My question is- When I put my pumped milk only the fridge there is no separation. Does this mean I am only pumping the foremilk? If so, how can I get the hindmilk out? I'm already doing breast compressions as I pump. Thank you.

Default Re: I don't see my hind milk?

Hi asweetlull. I am so sorry you are having this concern.

My best suggestion to you is to see an IBCLC for an in person appointment as soon as possible. Only IBCLCs are trained specifically to help with breastfeeding issues. Doctors are almost never able to help with these situations. As one example of questionalble advice doctors love to give, it is that they tell mom not to nurse so they can only supplement. Why? If baby is not gaining, the issue is not baby nursing but that baby is not getting enough milk when nursing. This can be solved by supplementing while continuing to nurse.

Here is what to expect at an appt with an IBCLC: http://www.cwgenna.com/lconsult.html

If you do not know how to find an IBCLC please let us know.

What your expressed milk looks like in a bottle before or after being refrigerated is irrelevant, I promise you. Do not even think about that. All you want to worry about at this point is 1) pumping often enough with a good enough pump to make sure your milk production is ok going forward and 2) to get baby nursing again asap.

Here is an article on exclusive pumping (this is what you are doing at the moment) that may be helpful. http://kellymom.com/mother2mother/exclusive-pumping/

Default Re: I don't see my hind milk?

At 10 days, your milk still contains an admixture of colostrum. In my experience, this makes the milk appear more creamy and makes it less likely to separate during storage.