Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What should my nipple look like after pumping?

Default What should my nipple look like after pumping?

Edited - more a question about size flange, I think!

I have a five week old baby and I pump on one side in the morning as she feeds, in order to begin my stash. I have found this very productive in the past. I have a Medela Freestyle and with my previous baby, 2 yrs ago, I went up to a 27mm flange. I found that this time when pumping, my nipple was sore, so I am trying a 30 mm flange. It _may_ be helping me get more milk out too and I think that it makes it possible for me to use a slightly higher vacuum level.
    But I'm not sure it is more comfortable. _Most_ of my nipple doesn't touch the flange (size 30) BUT it does, where my nipple joins the areola, and goes "inside" the tube part of the flange during the in and out of the vacuum. I don't think too much of the areola is going in, but I'm guessing that even there, the nipple should not be touching the flange. Because of this, after I pump (no more than 15 min, and I find only vacuum level 3 or 4 comfortable), my nipple has a reddish ring around it.

Do I need to go up to a 36 (which seems like a big jump)? Is that part of the nipple not meant to touch the flange either? Any rec's of videos that show exactly what the nipple should look like and what should contact the flange, during pumping, would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!
    Last edited by @llli*gilismom; March 21st, 2017 at 02:53 AM.

Default Re: What should my nipple look like after pumping?

I think the thing to do here is to try the larger flange and the smaller flange again, and see what happens. And when you do, focus on what you're feeling rather than what you're seeing. Sensation is far more relevant to whether or not the flange fit is good than what you see when you pump, or what you see in a video!

That being said, a red ring at the end of a pump session is certainly an observation you should take seriously! Is it more like a ring cause by suction, or one caused by friction?

Thanks for responding! Today i used the 30mm and it wasn't painful and no red ring. Maybe bec I put coconut oil on. Is that normal to have to do that? I think the red ring is from friction when it happens; i never have the suction on high enough to cause a ring int hat way, since i'm very sensitive to over-suctioning! I never go above 4 on the Medela. So the point is; don't angst about whether too much areola is going in the tube, and just think about how I feel? I wish I could post a photo or video so you could evaluate.... IN any case thanks so much for the advice!

It's normal for some people to need to use a lubricating oil when pumping. The shields are created in standard sizes, but humans don't come standard.

Definitely decide if a shield is right based on feel and efficacy of the pump instead of look. Again, humans don't come standard and while some moms are only going to see nipple in the tube, it's also normal for the areola to be drawn into the tube.

I would be very cautious about friction causing a red ring. Suction is probably less damaging than friction, when it comes to causing blisters or other forms of skin breakdown.