Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Below birth weight at 1 month

Default Below birth weight at 1 month

My son was delivered by unplanned c-section at 37w 6d because of severe pre-eclampsia. He weighed 7lbs 12oz. I had a magnesium sulfate IV for 24 hours after delivery, so he was given formula. I breastfed 2 or 3 times before I was admitted to the ICU with complications where I had to pump and dump. We were released from the hospital one week after delivery. My son's discharge weight was 7lbs 4oz.

On day 9, I began breastfeeding again and giving formula occasionally (my body needed more rest than breastfeeding would allow).

The following weights were taken on the same scale, completely nude.

Day 10: 7lbs 2oz
    Told to come back for a weight check. In the meantime admitted to children's hospital because of possible seizure. Was on antibiotics for 2 days. All tests came back clear.
    Day 17: 6lbs 14 oz
    Told to only feed formula. At least every 3 hours during the day, and wake baby every 4 hours at night.
    Day 19: 7lbs 2 oz
    Told to breast feed only.
    Day 23: 6lbs 15 oz
    Told to offer breastfeed and then offer 1oz of formula
    Day 25: 7lbs 3oz
    Continue breastfeeding and offering formula until 2 month checkup.

When I was pumping I would produce 3-4 oz each session, so I do not think it is a supply issue. I nurse for about 30 minutes on one side and then 10-15 on the other. My postpartum nurse said I had a good latch and my son does not have a tongue tie. The pediatrician's office says my milk may be too watery/not enough fat. My pumped milk does not seperate when frozen, it is all the same consistency. I feed when baby has hunger cues, but at least every 4 hours regardless of cues. He has about 8 wet diapers a day. He has been having a unpredictable frequency of poopy diapers.

Any suggestions on what might allow me to exclusively breastfeed?

Default Re: Below birth weight at 1 month

Hi! Sorry you are having this worry.

The pediatrician's office says my milk may be too watery/not enough fat.
    When a baby does not gain normally, it is because they do not get enough milk for some reason, or something else is wrong with them. Not because of "too watery milk."
    My postpartum nurse said I had a good latch and my son does not have a tongue tie.
    The majority of postpartum nurses and almost all doctors do not have the training required to accurately assess breastfeeding issues. And whoever at your peds office said this might be because milk is "too watery" truly has no clue. If your baby is not gaining well on breastmilk my best suggestion to you would be to see an IBCLC (Board certified lactation consultant) ASAP. Is that a possibility, do you know?

Meanwhile, to help you troubleshoot, it would help to have more information.

Can you tell us if, since the weight check on Day 10, baby was always weighed on the exact same scale? Is it a digital infant scale? Was the weight check done carefully, with no rushing or distractions, with baby naked or in a dry diaper only? Were any unit conversions needed?

When baby was exclusively formula fed day 17-19, how many times a day did you pump and how much milk per day did you pump? How much formula did baby eat on those days?

Can you closely estimate how many times in 24 hours baby nurses? I know you said every 3 hours during the day and every 4 at night, but a total number would help us get a more accurate picture. Of course it may vary a bit day to day.

If baby is still getting formula, how often and how much each day? Are you able to pump enough to offset the formula feedings?

Is nursing comfortable for you? Any pain from latch?

What is your baby like? Crying frequency and duration, alertness, sleepiness...anything seem out of the ordinary in those areas?

When baby nurses, is baby actively nursing and swallowing a good part of the feeding, or just kind of just hanging out and not doing much for most of the feeding?
    He has been having a unpredictable frequency of poopy diapers.
    Can you explain what that means?
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; March 19th, 2017 at 11:15 PM.