Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blood in poop and Food elimination

Default Re: Blood in poop and Food elimination

Thanks mommal!! I appreciate the concern and you telling me about it even if it's a 1% chance.

I will go back to work on 5/2 so I have a good amount of time to prepare. My typical work day starts at 7:30am and I generally leave at 5pm. I have patients scheduled on the hour starting at 8 and I break for lunch from 12-1. My pump has a rechargeable battery so I have no problems pumping on my drive to and from work if needed. If hand expression is quicker I'll definitely look into that.

Default Re: Blood in poop and Food elimination

Ok great. Here are some suggestions. First, figure out a reasonable amount of milk to have stashed.

Using the 1 to 1.5 ounces per hour of separation guideline, for a 10 hour separation you need to have 10-15 ounces per day to leave for baby. (Assuming no super long commute.) So let's go to the outside and say 15 oz per day, but remember there is a good chance baby will not actually need that much, at least not everyday. 15 is the upper number, in other words.

You will need at least enough milk for the first day. So 15 oz. Let's assume you can pump at least 8 ounces a day over a 10 hour separation. Obviously we do not know how much you will actually be able to pump, but if you pump once at lunch and get 4 ounces, and pump 2 ounces during each commute, that would be 8 to give baby the next day. So that leaves 7oz a day you need stored. Let's say you want to store enough for 10 additional days. That would be 70 ounces. Add the 15, that is 85. So lets just call it 100 oz as your goal, to give you some milk for practice bottles.

I count 40 days give or take before you return to work. 100/40 equals you want to pump 2.5 ounces per day. Of course you may have days you cannot get to the pump. So lets say you try to pump 3 ounces a day.

3 ounces is about equivalent to one good size meal at the breast. While ideally, a mom with OP should not pump at all, I think pumping 3 ounces a day is not going to be a huge problem.

What about when you use all that milk up? I think that if you cannot increase your work-time pumping opportunities, (more on that below) the likelihood is that you will need to pump at home as well. Maybe you will have amazing pump output and that will not be needed. It is possible. But that is my guess. If you can stay far enough a head, you will probably not need to pump at home more than once a day on workdays. You may be able to pump a few times on non-work days, reducing or eliminating the need to pump at home on workdays. It all depends on how much you can pump at a time and what works for you as far as when to pump at home.

As far as your work schedule, the big problem I see is that you will have 5.5 hours before lunch with no time to pump, also that (I think what you are saying) you have only time for one pump session over a 10 hour workday, and that is during your lunch! No reasonable person would describe this as adequate time for pumping, as over a 10 hour day 2-4 times would be required by most moms. Many states require employers to provide adequate break time for pumping (but not to pay for that time.) Have you looked at the law in your state? I strongly suggest do that and then have a discussion with your employer. You cannot threaten them with the law, as in fact most of these laws have no non-compliance penalty. But the existence of a law may help persuade them. I also think there is federal law. see here: https://www.dol.gov/whd/nursingmothers/

If your employer is reasonable they can be swayed by reasonable discussion. Again it is not just about your baby getting your milk, it is about your own health. Here are some talking points, you can find lots of info online if you want to search. http://workandpump.com/boss.htm

When a mom has to pump major parts of the day or week, it is always a risk that this will cause milk production will decrease over time, or that baby will eventually become habituated to bottles and refuse to nurse. To offset that, many moms find it helps to encourage baby to nurse lots when they can be with baby, including overnight.

It also may help to be sure caregivers know how to give bottles to a breastfed baby. More info here: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Ooops I forgot about practice bottles. There is no requirement that baby gets practice bottles before mom goes back to work, but most moms want to be sure baby will take bottles. So, in a situation like this you might consider keeping practice bottles to a minimum so as not to use up your stash. This means, keep practice bottles small and infrequent. Think an half ounce at a time and only once every several days, adjusting as needed depending on how baby reacts to bottles.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; March 20th, 2017 at 11:38 PM.