Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lipase in milk

Default Lipase in milk

Hi mamas,

I have a LO who is 8 weeks old. Discovered today that my frozen milk might have excess lipase. My husband describes it as having a woody, earthy sort of taste. To me, it didn't taste soapy exactly but it didn't taste right.

I didn't have this problem with my son. Can you have excess lipase with one and not the other?

I just need to scald the milk before freezing right? Any ideas for how to do that quickly when I go back to work?

Thanks,
    Fanny

Default Re: Lipase in milk

Also, what is the protocol for testing for lipase? I remember doing this with my first LO to see how many hours it might take for the milk to start to taste "off," but I don't remember details. Pump and just store in fridge and taste test every hour to see how long it takes to "turn?" Freeze some separately and thaw to see how that tastes? Should I freeze it and taste test at increments like one day, two days, etc.?

I think the first thing to do is to figure out if the baby cares. A lot of babies don't mind the taste of high-lipase milk!

Lipase issues can come and go, and you can definitely have them with one kid and not another.

Lipase issues tend to take some time to develop, so for work purposes you'd probably be okay scalding the milk you bring home at the end of the day. I think my first step would be to try that and see if any off flavors have developed after a time that would match your typical workday.

Yes last night I thought that maybe it's just the bottle that she is refusing. We are just starting to get her used to it. I go back to work in another 8 weeks and have had few opportunities to pump or to even leave her alone with a care giver. I have half an ounce that I am testing now but am going to first try to get her acquainted with the bottle using fresh milk. I used to freeze my milk in the milk trays but used bags this time to save space. I would think the trays would pick up more odors than the bags would. Maybe my son just didn't care. He's 2 yo now and pretty much eats anything and everything. I will be back to update this post in the coming days as things progress. Thank you!