Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: FTM Sick..Medication? Keeping supply?

Default FTM Sick..Medication? Keeping supply?

FTM. 4 month old so very new at this. I've just got a sinus infection but I feel miserable. I've got a generic brand of Benadryl (Costco, Kirkland Signature). My midwife's office is closed so I looked it up online and it said watch the baby for drowsiness. What exactly does that mean? If she's drowsy should I quit taking it or what?

Also, I do fine with my supply (though, I by no means have an abundance). If it drops any I will be in trouble. Does anyone have tips on how to keep it from dropping while I get over this? Would I be better off not taking anything? The last time I got sick it did drop so I'm trying to prevent it from happening again but I can't remember if I took anything.

Default Re: FTM Sick..Medication? Keeping supply?

Hi, not sure if this is too late to help, but here is some info.

When I look "benedryl" up on lactmed, there are actually a few drugs listed. This is because there are multiple forms of benedryl, so you will have to make sure you are looking at what you are actually taking. https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search2

I do not see any huge problem with most of them as long as you take it only briefly and in the recommended dose. You should be able to see on the label what your version actually has in it. Is that where you looked up this medication online? This is a good database with good info.

What exactly does that mean? If she's drowsy should I quit taking it or what?
    Not to mention, how do you tell a 4 month old is "drowsy," right? I think the answer is, it depends. If you notice baby seems a little drowsy but you have not taken the medication in many hours, then I think you just keep nursing but do not take the meds again. If you notice baby is a little drowsy and you recently took the meds, you probably need to not nurse for at least several hours. If baby seems truly unusually drowsy, meaning baby is clearly being affected by a medication you took, you call your doctor and see if you need to take baby into the ER. This might be overkill, but it is certainly what I would do.

Would I be better off not taking anything?
    Of course, purely from a breastfeeding standpoint, it would be better to not take anything that might cause problems for milk production. If you are in pain and if it will help, an OTC anti-inflammatory like ibuprofin (motrin, advil) or pain killer like acetaminophen like Tylenol might at least help with that, and that is most likely not going to be a problem for baby or your supply taken in the proper dose. But your needs are important as well. This is a decision only you can make. Don't take anything that contains aspirin.

One way to help prevent issues with milk production or at least, reduce the impact, when ill or at any time, is to stay well hydrated. This is often hard to do when ill but it is vital for milk production. The other thing is to make sure baby is nursing with high frequency.

Default Re: FTM Sick..Medication? Keeping supply?

Thank you! I hadn't heard of lactmed but it is definitely a tool I will keep in my back pocket.