Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Blood in Stool

Default Blood in Stool

Hello. My son is almost three months old and up to this point has been EBF. 2 weeks ago he came down with RSV and as a result ended up with an ear infection. He did 10 days of amoxicillin. On about day 5 he had one poop with a small amount of red/pink blood in it.. He has been off the antibiotics for about 2 days and for the last 2 days has had a small amount of blood in almost every stool. Often the poop is greenish and mucuosy. He is nursing great and I usually only nurse on one side, so I don't think there is any foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. He is gaining weight really well... he's about 16 pounds, from a birth weight of 9.5 pounds.

My doctor wants me to stop breastfeeding and start giving him hypoallergenic formula. This is not going to happen without trying other things first, and I don't have any issues having this frank conversation with my pediatrician. However, I would like to hear from other moms as to whether they have had similar issues... Have you had a baby this young tested for allergies? Should I try an elimination diet and what foods other than dairy and soy should I eliminate? Is it normal for a child to be doing great and just all of a sudden start showing signs of an allergy at three months and not from the beginning? Can this possibly just be from the intestinal trauma of taking antibiotics?

He is my fourth child and I have breastfed all my children. None have ever had/have any allergies, and neither do myself or my husband.

Truthfully, I am just feeling at a bit of a loss... The thought of giving up breastfeeding well before a year is deeply distressing to me. Not to mention the fact that I have four kids and breastfeeding is a hundred times easier than bottles and he LOVES it. I just feel like crying and would really appreciate some stories and support.

Also - if it did come down to trying out formula after everything else I would pump and freeze because there is no way I would just stop breastfeeding and let my milk dry up without knowing for sure that it would even work.

Default Re: Blood in Stool

My doctor wants me to stop breastfeeding and start giving him hypoallergenic formula.
    Cue, steam out of my ears! This is nonsense. I promise you. I will link articles that back up that this is nonsense below.

I did not know this before, but apparently some abs discolor stool and it can look like blood. Was baby's diaper actually tested for blood?

Mommal has personal experience with blood in stool. Hopefully she will have some insight for you.

To me the obvious theory in your case is the blood and mucous appearing at this point is related to the abs or baby's illness. We know abs kill healthy bacteria along with the harmful, and very often the result can be seen in gastrointestinal distress or inflammation that manifests in various ways- including causing green mucousy poop and small amounts of blood in stool. If this is the problem, this issue will go away once baby's gut has a chance to heal which I think may take a several days after stopping abs. Assuming baby is overall healthy and gaining normally, I see no reason for any diet changes for you at this point.

A more common cause for blood in stool than allergies, probably, is mom has overproduction and fast letdown. This is also called foremilk hindmilk issues, but I do not use those terms as imo they are misleading. In any case, this seems unlikely to be the issue at this age when there were no issues previously, but it is within the realm of possibility, especially if baby has begun nursing less frequently than before or if there is any reason you milk production may have recently increased a bit.

And sometimes babies just have bloody poop for a bit for no identifiable reason.

OK back up for why telling you to stop breastfeeding and give baby hypoallergenic formula is nonsense:

From the academy of breastfeeding medicine: http://www.bfmed.org/Media/Files/Pro...ish_120211.pdf

From American academy of pediatricians: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/106/2/346

From Dr. Jack Newman : https://www.facebook.com/DrJackNewma...01628756577912

From kellymom.com: http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/bloodystool/

Sounds a lot like a negative effect of antibiotics on the gut flora. I would start by giving probiotics for the baby and reassess the situation after a week or so.

Yeah, cue the ear steam here, too!

My second baby had visible streaks and specks of blood in her poop from roughly 3 weeks of age until 6 months. According to her pediatrician, it was "garden variety proctitis" and not worth interventions (e.g., diet modifications, switch to any sort of formula) due to the baby being otherwise 100% healthy and growing/developing normally.

In my experience, babies with bloody poop fall into 2 categories: the ones you should be concerned about, and the ones you shouldn't.

Of least concern is the baby who has bloody poops but is generally healthy, happy, and developing and gaining weight normally. If you have this type of baby, there's no need to do any sort of dietary elimination or switch to formula. You just take an expectant management approach- that is, you watch, wait, and see if anything changes.

Of more concern is the baby who has bloody poops but is generally NOT healthy, happy, or growing/developing normally. For this sort of baby, you take an active management approach. You start by eliminating major potential allergens from your diet, like dairy, wheat, and soy. If nothing changes, you proceed to eliminating less likely suspects, potentially going so far as to do a total elimination diet. (Note: TEDs are not a first stop because they are extremely hard on mom.) If more extensive eliminations do not result in normal weight gain, at that point you consider a move to a hydrolized formula.