Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: In desperate need of advice -

Default In desperate need of advice -

Hi there, I am still breastfeeding my 16 month old. He is at day care during the day so he has cows milk when I am not around. I try and get him to sleep in his cot when I can, other times we co-sleep. The problem we are having is that he wakes up multiple times during the night as though he is very uncomfortable as he wakes up moaning. The only way to get him to go back to sleep is to breastfeed / let him suck for comfort. Now I wouldn't mind doing this however it is disturbing both our sleeps. My little one is so tired during the day ( and so am I!) He will have one nap a day for about an hour or so which I don't feel is long enough. Both him and I are seriously lacking sleep and I don't know how to fix this issue
    Also, I would like to start trying for baby #2 however my body hasn't returned to normal as I am still breastfeeding.
    Any advice?

Thank you xx

Default Re: In desperate need of advice -

Hi there! My son is 18 months, so I understand what you are going through! It's not easy! Do you think he is teething? Have you tried dosing with Ibuprophen/Tylenol? My son just finished cutting some teeth, and in my experience, that's usually a culprit for very frequent wakings. Also, at around 16 months, when my son was waking every 1.5-2 hours, I started drawing some boundries at night: I talked to him, spent a lot of time trying to help him fall asleep without nursing, which involved a process of letting him nurse, popping him off while he was still awake, then letting him fuss in bed with me until he fell asleep (or demanded the boob, which I give haha). Slowly he has started sleeping longer stretches (he now wakes 2-3 times a night to nurse now which is heavenly to me!) I think because he knows how to fall back asleep when he has a minor wake...but then sometimes he needs the extra nursing because he is in pain or whatever and I indulge him and am sleep deprived!

What's your instinct? Is he ready for some boundries, even night weaning? To me, it sounds like if he is waking moaning, he needs comfort, either with dosing in meds or nursing. We won't night wean until all the teeth are in, because I know how much nursing helps with his teething.

Does bed sharing help you sleep through his nursing? Can you go to bed when he goes to bed, or get sitters/help so you can sleep in a bit?

In terms of napping, we have had problems with that too--has your caregiver tried driving him/strolling around? It can help my son sleep longer...I also dose during the day when teething is really bad. My son just doesn't need as much sleep, I have come to realize--13 hours total tops, but he likes 12 hours, which means if he sleeps 12 at night he won't nap!!

Sorry I can't offer more, I just only go by my son's instincts and his behavior, which changes all the time!

In terms of trying for baby #2, is your period back? Are you hoping to wean soon to get there? You might be fertile even without your period, though I am not super knowledgeable there.
    Last edited by @llli*scoob626; March 5th, 2017 at 10:17 PM.

Thank you for your message / advice. I do think my LO is definitely teething. He is a late teether and has only got 6 teeth so far and his gums all look ready to cut teeth so that is definitely a reason for wakings. I have watched him wake up and resettle himself a few times but its so rare! When he wakes he usually wants me and won’t sleep until he is nursing.

I do give nurofen / panadol when he needs it but probably not as often as I should esp in the middle of the night. Bed sharing does help but when he is in pain he nurses constantly then when I think he is asleep I move away in turn wakes him up and he has to nurse…its as though he needs constant comfort during the night. I have tried started setting boundaries, its hard though esp at this age when they know what they want and can be very stubborn about it. The past couple of weeks have consisted of good and bad starts to the night, some nights he has moaned / cried a little but I have patted him and he has slept without nursing, other nights I also give in as we get to a point where there is no way he will calm and settle to sleep.

I do try follow my instincts and normally happy to follow my sons wants and needs but some days I am just so tired and can’t get much done around the house and even try focus at work!

I haven’t got my period back, I am hoping I don’t have to wean 100% to become pregnant as that may take years knowing my son and his need for comfort eek! I need to look into finding out how fertile I am I suppose.

Thanks for listening( or shall I say reading ) … I run all different sleeping / sleep training etc scenarios in my head and sometimes its just nice to talk about it!
    I hope your little one starts sleeping more too soon x

Keep us posted! I relate to running different plans though all the time! It's so hard. My son is getting 6 hour stretches, it's a miracle.