Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping Problem

Default Pumping Problem

My baby is 3 weeks old and I've been breastfeeding on demand around the clock. When he's napping, I try to pump so my husband can possibly help with feedings at night. Baby latches well, eats/poops/pees/sleeps fine, has gained weight, but lately I've got nothing coming out of the pump! Obviously I'm producing enough milk to keep baby happy, but don't get why I can't pump anything anymore. Is it because I am feeding him on demand or am I not making enough? Thanks!

Default Re: Pumping Problem

If you are getting nothing at all when you pump, my best guess is there is something wrong with your pump, or the flanges are too big for you. Norm for a mom to pump "extra" when she is nursing around the clock is about .5 ounces to 2 ounces total when she pumps.

Here is a good article about this: http://kellymom.com/hot-topics/pumping_decrease/

Bottles and pumping are usually best held off on for the first 4-6 weeks for several reasons but assuming breastfeeding is going very well with no concerns it may be fine to start before then. Anytime bottles are introduced you need to be careful about how bottles are given, how much is in each bottle and also be aware that mom may need to pump when baby gets a bottle anyway, or her milk production may be impacted or she may become engorged or worse. So, many moms have found that night bottles do not end up helping them out because it ends up being more work than reward. I assume you want husband to give a night bottle so you can get a longer sleep stretch? Assuming baby is gaining well and nursing frequently (8-12 times or more in 24 hours) overall, your husband can take a turn comforting baby for 3-5 hours once a day possibly without bothering with a bottle. Also there are many other ways to increase your overall sleep with no risk at all to breastfeeding. A good book on this subject is Sweet Sleep.

Default Re: Pumping Problem

with tMaddieB!