Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pain medication?

Default pain medication?

hi I just had painful dental surgery and my dentist prescribed hydrocodone for the next couple days. Should i bottle feed my 14 week old son with my stored milk? If so, how long after I take the last dose can I nurse him again? He seems to do fine going from breast to bottle and back, just not sure how long he will have to take a bottle if that will bother him. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Default Re: pain medication?

Obviously there is some risk with any narcotic. Especially since these are common drugs of abuse, mothers are cautioned strongly about using them. On the other hand, therapeutic and controlled doses over a few days for acute pain are probably fine as long as baby is closely monitored for any issues. Narcotics like hydrocodone are routinely prescribed post C-section and those mothers are not told to not nurse. But again that does not mean there is no risk.

My best suggestion is to call infantrisk in Texas right away (they are only open to 5 central I think) and talk to someone so they can discuss with you dosage, risks etc. find the number at www.infantrisk.com
    If you miss them you can look the medication up here: https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/newtoxnet/lactmed.htm Read the whole entry carefully.

There are always risks to stopping nursing and bottle feeding and pumping for any length of time, even just a couple days. The primary risks are to your milk production and to baby's acceptance of the breast again. Baby going back and forth fine now means nothing as regards the future as usually babies do go back and forth fine until they start to refuse. So those risks have to be weighed against the risk of nursing baby while taking a needed medication.

Also you might talk to dentist about prescribing a non-narcotic pain reliever, as you may be able to manage your pain without the narcotic, especially after a day or two.

If you decide to bottle feed there are precautions that may help reduce issues. So let us know what you decide.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; February 27th, 2017 at 03:33 PM.

Thank you. I called infantrisk and they said it is ok as long as I do not exceed 40mg in a day. I shouldn't need it any more today. Thank you for your help!

Great! Hope you feel better soon.