Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD vs pacifiers

Default OALD vs pacifiers

I have a nearly 7 week old newbom and he's going through some wonder week or sleep regression Stuff I guess.whatever, the problem is I did hate pacifiers in the past with my DD I hate them now and I hate the idea of Soothing the baby with them instead of nursing.But I have to admit I need them.I'm dealing with OALD.I feel Especially at the witch hour with all the crankiness and exhaustion of the day at its heighest point the last thing my DS wants is another dip of milk!! At last I tried the paci and it worked ( no surprise,Hah?) I do afraid of having to deal with nipple confusion or supply issues (because he'll be sucking the paci instead of my nipple) but it seems to be the most rationale thing to do. Or he'll cry into tears in my arms until he falls asleep

Default Re: OALD vs pacifiers

Fussy evenings are the worst! Especially when you have a baby who won't nurse for comfort at that time. I think when you are in that situation, you do what you have to do. If a paci makes it possible for you to get through the evening, use it. It's probably a temporary thing. As your supply and OALD calm down and your baby gets more adept at managing the milk flow, he will probably discover how to nurse for comfort, and then you can ditch the paci.

Default Re: OALD vs pacifiers

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*banu View Post
    I have a nearly 7 week old newbom and he's going through some wonder week or sleep regression Stuff I guess.whatever, the problem is I did hate pacifiers in the past with my DD I hate them now and I hate the idea of Soothing the baby with them instead of nursing.But I have to admit I need them.I'm dealing with OALD.I feel Especially at the witch hour with all the crankiness and exhaustion of the day at its heighest point the last thing my DS wants is another dip of milk!! At last I tried the paci and it worked ( no surprise,Hah?) I do afraid of having to deal with nipple confusion or supply issues (because he'll be sucking the paci instead of my nipple) but it seems to be the most rationale thing to do. Or he'll cry into tears in my arms until he falls asleep
    The two things you have mentioned are not all the drawbacks of pacifiers. If interested in more, you may find this a good read: http://www.analyticalarmadillo.co.uk...es%2FPacifiers

Instead of a pacifier in the evening, two things come to my mind: 1) just use your pinky (of course, cut off the nail, wash properly with water without detergents) - that always did the trick for me when my son needed non-nutritive sucking and/or 2) put the baby into a baby wrap and take a walk in the evening (inside or maybe even better outside) - the motion and closeness will help him sleep.

Do you have enough information/guidance on how to deal with OALD?