Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping nothing..

Default Pumping nothing..

I'm a first time mom and baby is 3 months. I've been trying to pump some but I can't get anything. In the mornings I can get .5oz total but in the afternoon I won't even get a drop. I have a brand new medela pump in style backpack. I think that the flange fits based on diagrams I looked up online but honestly I don't know for sure. Could be supply issue...I'm a stay at home mom so it's not absolutely necessary, however, I feel so tied down feeding all the time and it would be nice to be able to give a bottle on occasion and I would like to have a small freezer stash.

Default Re: Pumping nothing..

If your baby is nursing exclusively and gaining normally, there is nothing wrong with your milk production.

Even brand new pumps can malfunction. There might be something up with the motor. Have you double checked any tubing and connections? Changed the membrains?
    Flange fit can be a but tricky. Generally, a too large flange will reduce the pump's ability to extract milk, and a too small flange will cause pumping to hurt. So you could try a smaller flange as an experiment.

Since you are only needing to express milk for convenience, it might not make sense to up grade you pump. But that might not help anyway. Some moms respond better to hand expression than pumping. Some moms respond better to manual pumps than double electrics. And some moms simply have a great deal of difficulty extracting milk even though baby is able to get plenty. But I certainly do think that low of a milk extraction warrants a call to Medela for help troubleshooting your new pump and if they cannot help you, asking about getting a replacement.

If nothing helps, even with pumping only a half ounce a day, it would take less than a week to have enough milk stored for a separation from baby of 3-5 hours. Most moms find morning the time of day they respond best to a pump.

This article may be helpful to you: http://kellymom.com/hot-topics/pumping_decrease/