Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Emotional

Default Emotional

Hi there, my 17 mo finally is getting 4-5 hour stretches at night, after waking every 1.5 hour since birth. I let him cry and fuss a few nights next to me in bed until he learned to fall asleep with out boob...When he wakes at night, he nurses and he only asks to nurse a couple times during the day. I am having sadness thinking he is weaning. I stay at home with him so he has unlimited access...

I am new to this, and clueless: is my body still producing when he nurses so infrequently? Should I offer more? I have always followed his lead, but am confused and emotional since I did push him toward less night waking. He has always been a demanding nurser but recently really got into solids. He is very healthy and 90th percentile in weight. Thanks.
    Last edited by @llli*scoob626; February 13th, 2017 at 06:02 PM.

Default Re: Emotional

Babies this age get busy and may 'forget' to nurse! That is often why they will nurse more at night. If you have found a strategy for nights that works better for you and that means baby is nursing less overnight, maybe the answer is to offer more during the day. It never hurts anything to offer to nurse!

As long as your child is nursing at all, you are probably making some milk. Because production depends on demand, of course the less often baby nurses the less milk your body makes. This is how weaning occurs- baby gradually nurses less and less, and the body in response gradually reduces milk production. But this is a process that can take many months, even a few years. It is very individual how it shakes out in the end.

Default Re: Emotional

OK thank you so much, I will offer more during the day! It's interesting in terms of my supply because I don't always hear him swallowing or anything! I sometimes get concerned that I should be offering cows milk if he is not getting enough milk, but I would rather not! He gets cheese and yogurt every day and eats a LOT...