Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lactation Bars?

Default Lactation Bars?

Has anyone had success with any lactation bars increasing supply? I've tried mothers milk tea and a supplement in a dropper with no luck.

Also, if I did find one that works would my supply be dependant on it or could I use them temporarily?

Default Re: Lactation Bars?

Just like a tea, tincture, or pill, a lactation bar or cookie is just another method for delivering galactagogues into the body. What is important is if the galactagogues that are going into your body are going to work for you and if you are able to get an adequate dose of them in whatever form you are taking. Moms differ on what galactagogues works for them. Also, some moms find that food and herb based galactagogues do not help at all, while some find them very helpful, and others find them only somewhat helpful.

What else are you doing to increase milk production? Far more important than galactagogues is frequent and effective milk removal. It is vital that milk be removed from the breasts by baby, pump or hand expression frequently and effectively. Also, being well hydrated is very important.

If you would like to tell us more about your situation and why you need to increase your milk production, we may have some other ideas.

The book Making More Milk is very helpful for moms dealing with low milk production, and has a section on herbal galactagogues. Kellymom's articles on low milk production and herbal galactagogues may help too.

I haven't had a lot of supply issues until my baby hit 3 months. She's also started sleeping through the night. Now during several feedings a day she's started pulling off and crying. I talked to a lactation consultant and she said it could be a slow let down. I'm not sure if that translates to a decreased supply or not but that's what it sounded like to me...

Due to a few normal changes that happen in the breasts and in infant behavior around this age, it is very common for mothers at about 3 months to think that they do not make enough milk, but usually they are doing just fine. This is an excellent article that explains more about this. http://kellymom.com/hot-topics/low-supply/

Did the lactation consultant see you and baby for a consult where she took a history, weighed baby before and after nursing, watched baby nurse, etc? Or was this a phone conversation? With that behavior as you describe, while it is possible baby is responding to a slow letdown, it is also entirely possible baby is pulling off for a different reason. Fast letdown also causes this to happen. So does gas, a desire to change position, and just general fussiness as 3-4 month olds are known for. And you are right, slow letdown does not always translate to low milk production.

How is baby's weight gain? And is baby older than 3 months now?

When a baby starts sleeping longer stretches, it might be a problem for milk production or it might be fine. It depends on multiple factors. If baby sleeping longer hours WAS causing a decrease in milk production, usually the most effective way to counteract that would be to encourage baby to nurse more often overall, and/or, during that time.
    How many times is baby nursing in 24 hours?
    When you say baby is sleeping through the night, how many hours exactly is that and are you going that time with no milk removal or are you pumping? Did you ever become uncomfortably full when baby started doing this? Explain as much or as little as you like.
    When baby sleeps, where is baby? Own room or with you? Is baby using a pacifier at night, or being swaddled for sleep?

It was just a conversation with the lactation consultant.

She is a few days shy of 3 months and her weight gain is fine. She probably eats 7-8 times in a day. She is sleeping for 8 hours right now and I do feel full in the morning but I don't wake up to pump. She sleeps next to my bed swaddled and with a pacifier.

Well if baby is gaining fine while exclusively nursed, then you know your milk production has been fine up to this point. This is good!

To keep milk production in good shape, you might consider changing your routine a bit. While some moms and babies do just fine nursing 8 times a day or less, many would need more than that. Also 8 hours is a little long for a baby to be sleeping with no nursing at this age, but again it might be fine, it just depends on the individual situation. But since you do sound concerned about your milk production, you could try a couple things that would help. There are other things that might impact nursing frequency down the line, such as mom returning to work or school or otherwise have more separation from baby, nursing distraction issues, and solids introduction, so it is important to keep milk production in great shape before that.

So if you have any concerns, you can
    1) try offering to nurse a little more often during waking hours and/or at night.
    2)Encourage comfort nursing and nursing to sleep.
    3) try eliminating the pacifier or swaddling at night to see if baby wakes more often to nurse. Pacifiers and swaddling are sleep lengthening techniques, of course, which is why people do them! But for a breastfeeding mom and baby, longer periods of time with no milk removal could lead to milk production issues down the road. That full feeling you are getting in the morning is what tells your body to reduce milk production, so sometimes that means baby has gone to a longer sleep stretch a little too early or too quickly.

Also just fyi, in many cases, a baby who is sleeping longer at this points start waking to nurse more often at night to nurse a little later. This would be entirely normal.