Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low Supply when Pumping???

Default Low Supply when Pumping???

My twin girls were born on 2/1 at 34 weeks 3 days. I've been exclusively pumping every 3 hours since then and started getting colostrum on Saturday, 2/4. I'm averaging about 25ml each time I pump. This basically gives them about 1-2 bottles a day of my breast milk. Obviously, this won't be enough once they are home. Will my supply increase or does this mean that I won't produce enough and will have to supplement?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Low Supply when Pumping???

Hi. Yes, your milk production should increase- normally milk production increases for the first 5-6 weeks of life. (and it can be increased any time, it is just that the normal course of things is for production to start out very low the first couple days, increase a good deal over the first week or two, and then continue to increase for several weeks.) Sometimes traumatic birth, cesarean or blood loss to mom can cause milk production to increase more slowly.

The problem is that this is not a normal output for 10 days post partum, even with premature babies or difficult birth. This does not mean you cannot increase your milk production, but something is apparently not right, either with your pump or with something else as by now you would expect to be seeing more milk. So it is important to identify what may be going on so a plan can be made to help you maximize what you can produce. Are you able to see a board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) for help?

Are you using a hospital grade pump? This article has pumping info http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...insupply-pump/ To maximize pump output, it may help to add hand expression and/or breast compressions to your routine.

The book Making More Milk is excellent.

One suggestion I would have is that if pumping every 3 hours is not working well for you, there is no reason to pump on a schedule. The idea is to pump as frequently as possible, at least 8-10 times total per 24 hours, in order to mimic as closely as possible what your babies would be doing if they could nurse. Newborns tend to nurse in clusters, not on an every such and such hour pattern. So it might work better for you to pump every hour for part of the day, or even more than once in an hour here and there, and that way free up a decent stretch of 4-5 hours once a day for sleep. If the every 3 hour schedule works for you, that is fine as well.

Good hydration is important for production as well, and sometimes hard to do that for an exhausted stressed new mom.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; February 11th, 2017 at 12:43 AM.