Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: In tears! Help please?!

Default In tears! Help please?!

Babe is 13 months and I'm nursing her. All was fine until about 3 days ago when little one contracted the virus that has hit my home (except for me). Doctor diagnosed my family's virus as one that is similar to mono. My baby has this virus for the last 3 days and refuses to nurse...I'm lucky to get one nursing session in during the day. My body doesn't respond well to a pump anymore. Everytime I offer she just pushes me away. I always offer her breast before her soft foods and water, too.
    Fever goes up and down.

What should my game plan be? I want to nurse her until she's two years old, so this is very upsetting to me.

Default Re: In tears! Help please?!

If baby will not nurse more than once a day, I suggest pumping or hand expressing to keep your production in good shape until baby feels well enough to nurse with normal frequency again. How often to do this depends on many factors, starting with how often baby nursed before becoming ill.

If you can explain what you mean about your body not responding to pumping anymore, what kind of pump, pumping output history, etc. perhaps we can help you troubleshoot that situation.

I am not familiar with the symptoms of mono in a baby. Is lack of appetite expected? What about headache or bodyaches? I am wondering if baby is not nursing because nursing is uncomfortable or if there is some other reason.

Breastmilk is very thirst quenching and thirst is a good motivator. Maybe also try offering to nurse after meals that have not included water when baby is likely thirsty.

Thanks for responding!
    I know for sure there's congestion, fever and a deep cough. My son had a sore throat and body aches. My baby seems to have an ok appetite for being sick. She loves her water in a sippy cup. I was able to nurse her before she went to bed tonight without her pushing me away, so that was good. Before she got sick I nursed her 5 times in 24 hours. I haven't had to pump in months because I stay at home with her and had no reason to. I just bought a newer Medela pump in style advanced this afternoon because my last one lacked suction. When I say I don't respond well to the pump...I get about 2 ounces when I pump (and that's when I pump because she missed her regular nursing session---->so I know I have milk then.)
    I've tried many times offering her my breast before I give her a sippy cup of water and she would refuse me and go straight to the sippy cup.

OK if 2 ounces is what you get, that is what you get. Even at other times if you get substantially less than that it is vital to remove whatever milk you can from the breasts frequently to keep your milk production normal. You can try adding hand expression and/or breast compressions or massage to your pump routine. If you can (and I get it, every one sick you are running ragged I am sure) but if you possibly can, you might try pumping slightly more often than baby nursed to increase over-all stimulation. Make sure flanges fit properly.

Is baby allowed any pain relief? Nursing engages the entire body, if you think about it. Throat, jaw, whole head, neck, back, arms, legs- all are either being used or being touched when nursing. Fevers and aches can make even touch uncomfortable. So this may be why she is going for the cup rather than nursing. Maybe try reversing it- let her get a soothing drink and then try nursing?

Poor baby, poor son, poor mom! Our family has been sick over and over again this winter. I feel for you!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mackeroo2013 View Post
    I know for sure there's congestion, fever and a deep cough.
    What position do you breastfeed? If it is closed to laying flat, the child may resist because the congestion gets even stronger. You may want to try to breastfeed a sitting child in a bathroom full of steam from hot water, that should aid the breathing.

maddieb, what do you mean "if 2 ounces is what you get, that is what you get"? I can't tell if my flanges fit perfect. I have a few different sizes...I'm using the ones where my areola gets pulled in, but my nipples have room (they do not rub up on the side). Should I pump immediately after I nurse her?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mackeroo2013 View Post
    maddieb, what do you mean "if 2 ounces is what you get, that is what you get"? I can't tell if my flanges fit perfect. I have a few different sizes...I'm using the ones where my areola gets pulled in, but my nipples have room (they do not rub up on the side). Should I pump immediately after I nurse her?
    Lots of people who are nursing without pumping don't respond well to the pump by the year point. I didn't. But if your child won't nurse, even if you aren't getting much, the pump still is stimulating your breasts and getting you a letdown, ect. And while it may not extract nearly as much as your child would, it's also not allowing you to get engorged and run the risk of clog and such.
    Also, even if baby is refusing, remember to try when very sleepy or even when asleep. If what's keeping her from wanting to nurse is pain, it may not when she is sleeping.

Way too lazy for formula

maddieb, what do you mean "if 2 ounces is what you get, that is what you get"?
    Sorry to be cryptic. Basically I meant what djs.mom has said- do not let low output keep you from pumping with reasonable frequency. No matter how much you get out, whatever you get is better for your milk production than not pumping/hand expressing at all.

Should I pump immediately after I nurse her?
    My recommendations for pump frequency are based on your saying baby was only nursing once a day. If baby is nursing very infrequently, then it really makes no difference when, exactly, you pump. I would suggest, pump whenever it is most convenient so you get the most pump sessions in.

I have a few different sizes...I'm using the ones where my areola gets pulled in, but my nipples have room (they do not rub up on the side).
    That sounds possibly right, but also possibly too big if much of your areola is being pulled in. If you find you are getting more milk extraction with a smaller size and pumping is comfortable, then maybe switch to that size. You may just have to be careful to center your nipple in the tunnel so it does not rub. If the smaller size works better but there IS rubbing, try lubing the flange with a little olive oil.

Also your pump may need other troubleshooting or to have the suction tested.

Thanks for everything! She nursed twice throughout the night and managed to nurse two more times since she's been up! I've had so much help from this forum!! Thank you ladies for taking the time to offer advice and encouragement. Blessings!

Sounds like baby is feeling a bit better. Good news!