Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fussy nursing and slow weight gain

Default Re: Fussy nursing and slow weight gain

Will try that homogenization thing - thanks for the link!

No long gaps between nursing sessions here. He's usually on every 45-90 mins during the day, though some of that is more for comfort than hunger, judging by the vigor (or the lack) with which he nurses. I offer more than he asks, and he rarely refuses. At night, he wakes every 2.5-3 hours or so, maybe stretching to 4 hours a couple of times (but not in the last week). Of course, I'm looking at this through the lens of a possible bad latch now

Default Re: Fussy nursing and slow weight gain

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lcon View Post
    Will try that homogenization thing - thanks for the link!

No long gaps between nursing sessions here. He's usually on every 45-90 mins during the day, though some of that is more for comfort than hunger, judging by the vigor (or the lack) with which he nurses. I offer more than he asks, and he rarely refuses. At night, he wakes every 2.5-3 hours or so, maybe stretching to 4 hours a couple of times (but not in the last week). Of course, I'm looking at this through the lens of a possible bad latch now
    Icon, you really do sound like me. You may consider trying what I have done: When your milk first lets down, pull the baby off. They will hate you for a few seconds. Squeeze out the ridiculous flow on a towel meanwhile until it settles down, then relatch baby. You may consider doing this with the second letdown if it's the type that baby is gulping like crazy. My babies got so used to the fast letdowns initially that they wanted their entire feedings like that. By offering them a very full breast with a moderate letdown, and not letting them get that SUPER fast letdown, it adjusted them down to a reasonable expectation. That and the compression you have been doing. And honestly? They may simply still be a bit fussy in between sometimes.

I don't know if you wrap, but sometimes putting baby in a sling, tula or Moby/Boba wrap can also help. Go for a hike, do an all day shopping thing or just around the house. On the front of you, they are strapped. Then when they get hungry feed them in there, they usually pass out and the movement distracts them from various feeding issues and they become used to more "comfort nursing". That is what you want, is to encourage the times of just comfort nursing. Not seeing you as a super fast flow bottle "job" to get over. And that goes for any time during the day, try to catch them when they are about to go down for naps; nurse before, they can pass out happily.

If you have TOO much milk, where they aren't drinking both sides, you may consider doing one letdown on the pump before nursing. I know, stressful, because baby is hungry. It's the same idea as the towel and manual expression.

Another thing... try to not let get baby super hungry. Easier said than done if you are a busy mom. They are more frantic and demanding for food at that point. But all that above helped me tremendously overall.

Usually overactive letdown is caused by too much production. But in my case, it never really was. Well, initially, yes, but block feeding always fixed that to a good level. Sounds like you've already figured that out. It took me a few babies to figure out to block feed right off the bat, because I actually suffered from LOW milk production around 3-4 months old for those first few because I did not block feed and baby didn't suck down an entire breast. Weird, huh?

Hope some of that helps you!