Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple Pain / Nursing Pain

Default Nipple Pain / Nursing Pain

Hi there. So my little girl is almost 5 months old. Always been a good breastfeeder. Less than a week ago I noticed a plugged duct of some sort in my left breast. It was very painful, but it went away within about 24 hours. Since then I've had a random sharp pain in my left nipple. It's like needle-piercing sharp and very random. It was pretty frequent on Saturday night, but it has become less frequent since then. It still happens at random, though. Also, it's been fairly painful to breastfeed on the left side for at least a week now. When she first latches it hurts and only after a minute or so does it feel more comfortable. But that first minute I really have to suck it up.

Is this an issue I should be getting checked out? I know they always say breastfeeding should not hurt, so now I'm a bit concerned.

Default Re: Nipple Pain / Nursing Pain

Is your daughter already teething? That could explain the latching on issue. And if the latch was/is not ok, then the nipple can be painful due to this physical trauma.
    There are more reasons why the nipples can get sensitive: a new pregnancy or return of the menstruation period, but that is less likely given that only one side is affected.
    Does your nipple itch? Burn? Is it more pink than normally? In that case there is a possibility of a yeast infection and it would be best to get checked.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tralala.pom View Post
    Is your daughter already teething? That could explain the latching on issue. And if the latch was/is not ok, then the nipple can be painful due to this physical trauma.
    There are more reasons why the nipples can get sensitive: a new pregnancy or return of the menstruation period, but that is less likely given that only one side is affected.
    Does your nipple itch? Burn? Is it more pink than normally? In that case there is a possibility of a yeast infection and it would be best to get checked.
    I do not feel any teeth coming through yet, although I could be wrong. She seems to be latching ok, but during some feedings she does get distracted and/or has to break because of my fast flow and does come unlatched several times. She will do that on either side, though, and it never seems to bother my right.

It does itch sometimes. Not all the time, but on occasion it gets itchy near the areola. I wouldn't say it burns and not really sure about the color. I'll have to pay more attention.

Thank you for the info! I'll pay more attention and if it's still an issue I may go in and get it checked. Are there any other signs of a yeast infection I can look out for?

I guess it is possible that one side is somewhat more sensitive than another. When I had injuries, one side healed pretty fast, another took a while.
    If it only itches and not super much, perhaps it's a part of healing process. Though I've heard some stories when the signs of a yeast infection weren't very pronounced.
    The main distinctive symptom of a yeast infection in a nipple/breast is sharp cutting pain out of nowhere between the feedings. You can read more about it here: http://www.llli.org/faq/thrush.html and here: http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvoctnov98p91.html (a lot of good checkpoints!)
    Also note, that frequently both mother and child have thrush. In the baby two places can be affected: mouth and/or diaper area. Thrush in the mouth results in white patches which do not easily go off and if cleaned, then you see a pink/red spot, possibly bleeding. A baby with thrush in the mouth is a fussy feeder, because it is likely to be painful. In the case the diaper area is affected, if the rash persists for longer than two days and does not respond to regular cremes, it's an indication. You can google "baby yeast diaper rash" for some photo's of how it looks like.