Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sore nipples at 14 months?

Default Sore nipples at 14 months?

Hi all,
    DD is 14 months and suddenly my nipples are pretty sore. My pj top worn with no bra actually irritates them a little bit. I wince when she first latches on and then the pain wears off while she's nursing.
    My first thought was possible pregnancy bc I remember feeling similar pain when nursing while pregnant. (DD is #3.) I've been on the mini pill since she was a few months old and have never missed a day or taken it late. Still haven't gotten a period. My breasts aren't tender are sore -- it's just the nipples that are sensitive.
    Any other possible causes for the pain? I don't suspect thrush. She does have a bunch of teeth but isn't a biter and doesn't clamp down on me, except slowly towards the end of a session when she's getting lazy.
    Thought I'd ask here and see how likely some other explanation is before going out and buying a pregnancy test.
    Thanks all!

Default Re: Sore nipples at 14 months?

Even if there is another cause to the pain, that would not rule out being pregnant.
    In my experience pain at this age is often caused by a poor latch, and that is usually linked to baby nursing in a position that curls their body slightly, leading to baby tucking their chin and not being able to tilt their head back slightly to get that good, deep latch. Or just developing a "lazy latch" that is too shallow as they are so practiced at getting milk out they find they do not need to have a great latch anymore. So if you are not already doing so, I would suggest trying different nursing positions that might work better for a longer, bigger child, and/or encouraging baby to latch well from the start and to not sort of slide down the nipple as the session goes on.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; January 22nd, 2017 at 12:06 PM.

Thank you for your response. Definitely need to try new nursing positions. The pain persists. Home pregnancy tests have come back negative btw. I'm having other uncomfortable symptoms too and wondering if they aren't all because of the mini pill. I've read lots of reviews and complaints that are pretty consistent with what I'm experiencing.
    Thanks again for replying!

Hi,
    If the pain in the nipples surfaced only recently, perhaps you will finally get your period in the next several days. The pain is possible due to hormonal changes.
    I understood you've been using the mini pill for almost a year now, it seems unlikely not to have had any side effects until now?