Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Insomnia?

Default Insomnia?

My 21 month old has been down to only nursing before bed (and for at most 10 minutes total) for the last four months. Occasionally she will just skip it altogether but that's maybe only once or twice a month. During these four months I've had terrible insomnia -- I fall asleep fine but wake throughout the night and have a terrible time falling back to sleep (if at all). I'm not looking at screens, not thinking about work, etc. I've come across a few articles that claim the hormone changes can cause insomnia but am unclear if this is possible for such this long a time and/or when not completely weaned. Any thoughts or experiences with this? Many thanks!

Default Re: Insomnia?

I have experience with onset of insomnia since becoming a mother. In my case I am old enough that perimenopausal hormone changes may be part of the problem, but I have no proof that is the issue. My personal belief is that becoming a mom changes how we sleep and for some moms this may lead to insomnia, but this is entirely my personal, untested or proven theory. Oh and I have had similar insomnia issues whether I was nursing a child or not.

My insomnia also followed the pattern that I could fall asleep fine and then after 1-4 hours waking and not being able to go back to sleep. I hated laying awake, and if I read or got up to do something it just made it all worse. I was on antianxiety meds and sleep meds for a bit, and I certainly slept through but I did not feel more rested. I did think they helped as a one of two night thing to break a cycle of insomnia at times, if that makes sense. But overall I did not like how they made me feel.

Honestly what has worked best for me to go to bed later. Where I used to fall asleep at 10 or 11, I now head to bed at 12 or 12:30 and read for about a half hour or until I fall asleep. When I started doing that, I do not wake up nearly as much overnight. My overall sleep is not that much more, but I get a longer sleep stretch and very rarely am I waking in the middle of the night for no reason and not being able to get back to sleep. I usually have to get up to pee, and my husband snores and that wakes me at times, but usually I am able to get back to sleep without too much trouble since going to the later bedtime. So, it is better. But, still tired. Family schedule is such that I can sleep (or at least, stay in bed) until about 7:30 or 8 now, which makes a difference of course. One reason later bed time has helped me is that I now go to bed after my husband does. When I went to bed earlier then he, he would wake me up when he went to bed (not on purpose, I am just a much lighter sleeper than I was before becoming a mom) and that would start the cycle of insomnia for the night. Some nights we go to bed at the same time and that is fine.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; January 20th, 2017 at 01:57 PM.