Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: We made it a year! Now what?!?

Default We made it a year! Now what?!?

Hi,
    I noticed extended breastfeeding is not talked about as much as infant breastfeeding so I'm hoping this forum will help. My daughter is 14 weeks (so I'm thankful we made it a year) and I would like to continue nursing her as long as she lets me. I know extended breastfeeding offers nutritional help and comfort to little one.

My concern is my boobs are very soft and floppy they look tiny (like flaps of skin at times) for months now. I tried taking Fenugreek for 3 weeks and I stopped because I noticed zero difference and I was taking so many pills. This is our day. Babe wakes up at 7 am and I nurse her. She nurses well on both sides. I feed her breakfast with water. I nurse her again after her nap at 11:30 then she eats lunch with water. Then I nurse her again after her afternoon nap at 4 pm then I feed her dinner with water. Finally, I nurse her at 7pm right before she goes down for the night. She sleeps all the way through.

So, I nurse her 4x in 24 hours. Sometimes they are full feeds other times she is so distracted I barely get her one side finished. She is not on cows milk...only water.

I do not respond and have not responded to the pump in months. I can sit there for 10 minutes and only collect drops.

My question is do I give her cows milk when she's not always faithful with these four nursing sessions? Should I feed her before her naps instead of after her nap? And, is it normal that my supply seems so low and should I be doing anything differently? I so want to go back to big boobs! It was so reassuring to have no worries about milk supply!

Default Re: We made it a year! Now what?!?

Typo---my daughter is 12 months!

If you feel like your milk supply really isn't much and your daughter is only nursing 4x per day, max, then it's probably a good idea to give her some supplemental dairy products or carefully chosen non-dairy solids which meet her nutritional needs. You don't need to feed her bottles or cups of cow's milk in order to meet her needs. You can also feed her milk products like cheese and yogurt, which are often preferred by toddlers to animal milk.

If you would prefer increasing your milk supply to supplementing your child's diet with dairy products, you can. Just nurse her more often. It doesn't matter if she nurses briefly or only takes one side. When you are aiming to increase supply, frequency matters and even short or seemingly disinterested nursing sessions count. So instead of wondering whether you should nurse before or after her naps, think of nursing her both before and after.

All that being said, I would not expect the return of the "big boobs" phase of your nursing journey. At 12 months, a baby who is eating a lot of solids doesn't need the 20-30 oz of milk per day that a baby who is fully/mostly reliant on breastmilk needs. And that means your breasts aren't going to be as big as they used to be. Welcome to the glories of post-breastfeeding breasts.

mommal, I have a bottle of Fennel here that I haven't opened yet. Would that help? I tried taking Fenugreek for 3 weeks and never noticed a change.

I don't think herbs are particularly effective, so go ahead and try the fennel but don't expect much. I mean, people love to talk about herbs that increase supply, and they do some good and little or no harm, but they just can't hold a candle to things like nursing more and pumoing more.