Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Occasional pumping for stay at home mom

Default Occasional pumping for stay at home mom

I'm a stay at home mom and would like to occasionally pump to build a small stash in case of an emergency and to be able to leave my daughter with daddy or my in-laws for a few hours. I love the convenience of breastfeeding and have no desire to pump every day! I've been told to pump for about 10 minutes every day after her morning feed, but I know that realistically I can't commit to doing that every day. So,any suggestions for how to manage this without negatively affecting my supply would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Default Re: Occasional pumping for stay at home mom

Who told you need to pump every day? If all you want is to have milk for short separations once in a while, you only need to pump when needed. In other words if you plan to go out Saturday night and will be gone 6 hours, you can pump 2 or three times in the days leading up to Saturday and, assuming you have normal milk production and respond ok to pumping, you would easily have the 3-6 ounces that would be plenty for such a situation. If you respond really well to pumping, you could have enough pumping once. It all depends on how well you respond to the pump.

I am not sure what you are thinking would negatively affect your production? Pumping every day would act to increase your production, and for some moms that is not a good thing, but if pumping is only once a day, it would probably not increae production all that much. Assuming baby is nursing lots day and night and gaining normally, your production is fine and will likely stay that way. Do you have any milk production concerns?

Also you can pump whenever you want. Moms "are told" to pump in the morning because there tends to be more milk in the breasts in general then, so pumping is more productive in the morning than at say, 7 at night. But there is no other reason to limit your self that way. If pumping at 7 at night works better for you, pump then. Also no reason to limit the time- 10 minutes is fine, but you can pump longer if needed, within reason. Pumping more than about 30 minutes at a time is probably not a great idea, just because pumps can injure. Also if you pump and baby cues to nurse right after, that is fine to. Your body is always making milk.

Watch out for sources that give you too many overly precise rules when it comes to breastfeeding. We are biological entities, not clockwork machines. We do not usually need to be doing anything X times a day for X amount of time.

with the PP, especially with her point that one should be distrustful of overly precise rules for breastfeeding!

If your goal is to leave the very occasional bottle- say one bottle a week or something- there's no reason to pump every day. Just pump when it's convenient for you and grow your stash a little more slowly. Pumping for 10 minutes every day is what you'd do if you were going back to work and needed to build a significant stash and to really get some practice in with the pump.

Thank you so much for the help and useful info! There is so much info out there, it's hard to tell what's accurate and what is nonsense. That's why I joined here...figured this was a good place to get accurate info!
    With my older daughter, we only made it 6 weeks breastfeeding. Things are going really well right now with my 5 week old, so I think I'm just paranoid about doing something to mess it up. I really appreciate the help

It's very normal to be worried, and for a mom who had issues with breastfeeding the first time around especially. Please feel welcome to ask any questions you have!