Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do I need a new pump?

Default Do I need a new pump?

Hi all,

I am due to have baby #2 in a few weeks and will return to work sometime in May. I am wondering if I need to purchase a new pump. The one I have was well used for over a year (3 x a day, 4 days a week) and will have been retired for about a year before I need it again. I am leaning towards needing a new one, as I wonder if the pump strength weakens as it gets old. Also, if I need a new pump, what can I do with my old one? Just toss it in the trash? I hate to see things like this go to landfills, but it doesn't seem as if there are other options.

Thanks!

Default Re: Do I need a new pump?

I totally understand how trashing your old pump seems like a waste, because it is. If consumer-model pumps were made better, we could use them longer and even transfer them from mom to mom... It burns me up that pumps have become part of the toxic cycle of over-consumption and discard!

Here is what I would do. Get the new pump. Your well-used pump may be just fine, but many pumps are not after a year of heavy use. Keep the old pump as your back-up. It might be the pump that travels with you in the car or the one that you leave in your desk.

Hi mommal,
    thanks for your input. I hate to see things go to waste, esp appliances for some reason, but keeping it as a back up is a good idea. I guess eventually I will have to toss it out. what a waste!
    Thanks!

Yeah, one of the only bad things about the Affordable Care Act is that because insurance companies now have to cover pumps, old pumps have become disposable! Of course, this would be totally fixable if the pump manufacturers would create better machines with closed systems that could be re-used more easily.

Speaking of insurance "coverage," my insurance only covers $28 for a pump! That's barely enough to get a manual pump!

That is obscene. I know there's no mandate that insurance has to cover a good electric pump, but still... And people wonder why our breastfeeding rates are so low!

Agreed! This country is so backwards.