Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will teaching baby to drink from open cup affect bfeeding?

Default Will teaching baby to drink from open cup affect bfeeding?

I want to start teaching my 8 month old baby to drink from an open cup, but I do not want to unintentionally wean her from my breasts. I was planning to put breastmilk in the cup as she is learning. Will this affect her breastfeeding or will it make her refuse the breast as she learns to drink from a cup?

She does not drink from a bottle. Exclusively drinks from my breasts.

Default Re: Will teaching baby to drink from open cup affect bfeedin

Offering an open cup associated with meals is unlikely to cause premature weaning. Most babies go to the breast not just for nutrition but also for a delightful cuddly experience. So it's fine to your baby an open cup along with her meals. Just don't use the cup to replace a nursing session- that is, if baby seems to want to nurse, nurse her instead of offering her the cup.

Thank you @lli*mommal that is good to know. She usually wants something to drink while eating solids which led me to want to use an open cup. Rest assured it does not replace a nursing session. I just felt that putting breastmilk in the cup is better than regular water at this age.

I agree with mommal using a cup so baby can get a few sips with her meal is fine. My one (probably overthinking) worry would be that if it is your expressed milk in the cup, and she drinks a lot of it, it would possibly cause baby to not nurse as much. To avoid that, just keep it a small amount. I found that I could get my busy daughter to nurse more at this age if I did not give her water with her meals and then she wanted to nurse after due to being thirsty.