Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can my baby be overeating?

Default Can my baby be overeating?

Hey mamas! FTM here. My baby boy is 4 weeks old and we have had a pretty good breast feeding relationship going, but around 2 weeks old he started spitting up large amounts and not wanting to be fed again to make up for the lost amount. I asked his pediatrician about it and she said to burp him every 5-7 minutes and that should solve the problem. So I tried that, but it didn't work 100% of the time. Now, not only does he spit up large amounts, he also makes sounds like he is trying to clear his throat when I lay him in his bassinet and I think it's waking him up. I do get a burp out of him before I lay him down, but maybe he has more bubbles to get out? Any advice would be super helpful! I'm not sure what else to do.

Default Re: Can my baby be overeating?

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

Spit-up is a normal part of being a baby. It doesn't happen because baby is overeating or insufficient burping or something wrong with your diet or the phase of the moon or whatever other old wives' tale applies. It happens because babies have weak sphincters at the top of their stomachs, making it easier for stomach contents to slip back into the esophagus. And a baby has a short esophagus, meaning there is less distance to travel between stomach and mouth. Finally, babies spend most of their time lying down, so gravity isn't helping them keep their meals down.

In general, there is nothing much that you need to do about spit-up. As long as baby is gaining weight normally and does not seem to be in pain when spitting up, you can treat this is a laundry problem, not a health problem. All you need are some extra bibs and onesies, and to swab out baby's neck folds once a day so that spit-up doesn't get in there and fester.

If if you feel like spit-up is disturbing baby's sleep, it may help to keep him upright after feedings. Wearing him in a sling or baby carrier is often the easiest way to do this- baby is upright and the moments of your body may naturally move a burp out of him. If you are going to put him down in a crib, it may help to elevate the head of his sleep surface by putting a pillow underneath the mattress. That way burps have an easier time going up and out.