Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Maybe I should use a smaller breast shield?

Default Maybe I should use a smaller breast shield?

I don't even know how to sum this up to search for it. When I'm pumping, I noticed that if I apply pressure to the flanges at different sides once milk flow has slowed down, I get a faster flow again like when my milk lets down. Does this mean I should use a smaller shield? I'm currently using a 27mm as directed by the LC in the hospital. I had to pump while my daughter got formula to help flush out her jaundice during phototherapy. I have a set of 24mm and I'm wondering if I'll see better results pumping with these? Any ideas!

Default Re: Maybe I should use a smaller breast shield?

All you can do is try! Just remember it should not hurt, so if they hurt they may be too small, if they are comfortable and help you produce awesome.

Also, it's already done, so no reason to be upset about this, just a tip for the future. Formula is not needed for jaundice... nursing and breast milk is just as effective if not more so. I was pushed it with my first child too, and the second child (in nicu) I pushed back much harder with education that babies do not need formula for jaundice and they can continue to get breast milk.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Flange sizing can be tricky. Many moms find they need a different size at some point, and some moms find that they need different sizes for each breast!

Your pump manufacturer's website may have info on flange sizing. If not, I think it is Ameda that has a pretty good explanation.

I argued hard that she didn't need formula but the lactation consultant even agreed that although they don't need it, her numbers were high enough that even she would give some. She didn't have much, she just needed the fluid ounces to flush her system. And I pumped and gave her the colostrum via syringe. If I hadn't, she may have had to stay longer in the hospital and in the nursery instead of in the room with me. I was in tears over it but we got through it and I really think pumping that early with a hospital grade pump significantly helped my milk come in.

Also! I pumped this morning with the smaller shields and I felt like it was more efficient. I didn't have to apply pressure from different angles and I got the same amount I normally get. Now if only I can get this little girl to be a more efficient eater at the breast. It's driving me insane!!!

You have done awesome mama!!

Just keep putting baby to breast, put to breast first back and forth and try to hold out on giving the bottle til the last option. She will get better at it mama!

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Thank you! I needed to read this today. She's getting a bit of formula this past week because she's lazy on the boob and wasn't gaining as quick as they wanted. I said before she was born that I wasn't going to stress myself out over breastfeeding and the supplementing has helped me be able to detach for a bit. But oh the spit up! So gross. I've been pumping to preserve my supply and that seems to be going great - but overall this girl LOVES the boob. She will take a bottle but even if it's breastmilk, she spits up. So gross!

Spit-up may be gross, but it is also completely normal. Babies have a shorter distance between tummy and mouth, which means less distance for tummy contents to travel. They have tiny tummies, which means it's easier for them to get full to the brim. They have weak muscle sphincters at the tops of their stomachs, which makes it easier for stomach contents to slip back up into the esophagus. And they spend a lot of time laying down, which means that gravity isn't helping keep stomach contents down. This is why spit- up happens to pretty much all babies- bottle-fed, breastfed, formula-fed, it doesn't matter. The best thing you can do is to lay in some extra bibs and onesies and make sure to swab out the baby's neck folds once a day so that spit-up doesn't get in there and fester.