Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting baby to latch after 8 months

Default Getting baby to latch after 8 months

HELLO

I have been exclusively pumping since my baby was about 1 month old. I have always been able to meet her needs and have been bottle feeding her breast milk. She will be 9 months in a few days and recently my supply has dropped tremendously and i was wondering if its possible this late in the game to get her to latch again. We were EBF for a whole month before switching to exclusively pumping.

Default Re: Getting baby to latch after 8 months

It is possible to bring a child this age to the breast, even if they never nursed. But it can be a very difficult process that might require a good deal of persistence and patience.

The first step would probably be to see if baby shows any interest or ability to latch if offered. This article will have several ideas on how to encourage a baby to nurse. http://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/nb-...ack-to-breast/

If baby seems utterly unable or unwilling to latch, one technique I know of is to have baby nurse "at" the breast using a bottle nipple with tubing threaded through for milk delivery (Or start with an actual bottle positioned in a way that would be like baby would be positioned to nurse, then move to the nipple with the tubing.) Some moms can get baby "almost" nursing that way and switch right to the breast, others use a nipple shield as an interim step, with or without continuing with the tubing for milk delivery as needed. Obviously there is no specific step by step process, really, you would adjust your strategy depending how baby is responding.

Can you explain further what is happening with your milk production and with baby's intake of milk? There are many very good reasons to have a baby nurse at the breast, but if your production is truly low I think you may need to take other steps to increase it aside having baby nurse.
    The typical first step when pump output is reducing is to trouble shoot your pump, your pumping regimen, and to try techniques for increasing per session output. This article may help: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/p...ping_decrease/
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; December 18th, 2016 at 08:09 PM.