Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improve sucking!!

Default Improve sucking!!

Some one help please! how do I improve my baby;s sucking. She used to suck well. But now she seems to be a weak sucker. She doesnt seem to draw the nipple inside too much. What can I do

Thanks
    Prathibha

Default Re: Improve sucking!!

how old is the baby?

Prathiba -- I remember from your previous posts -- your daughter is about 10 weeks old, right?

Does she ever have bottles or a pacifier? A change in her sucking at the breast could be a problem with nipple preference/confusion.

Since her weak suck started, how is her diaper output?

Are there any symptoms of illness?

Hopefully with some more information, we can help you figure out what is going on and whether it is anything to worry about.

--Rebecca

Hi,

She is 10 weeks old. I am giving her formula in bottle only once in the night if I feel she is still hungry after feeding every 1 hr!! She drinks only an ounce or 2.

She is now having 1-2 bowel movements in a day and 5-6 wet diapers a day.

And she is active and alert. No symptoms of any illness!

Thanks for any help!

Prathibha

Hi Prathibha,

So she is still cluster-feeding a lot in the evenings? That can get very tiring for momma. Try to believe that if she has free access to the breast, she will get all the milk she needs. Are you able to nurse lying down so you can get some rest during those marathon cluster-nursing sessions?

If you feel that her nursing latch is changing in ways that make it harder for her to get milk from your breast, then it is possible that the bottle is interfering with your nursing relationship. What is your instinct about this question?

--Rebecca

Sometimes I feel my milk supply is low even in the day. She is hungry even after feeding for a long time. And when I try to hand express nothing comes out of my breasts I feed her once every 1 1/2 - 2 hrs! She is fussy at the breast after sometime but I encourage her to nurse for long. Keeps coming off the breast. After feeding when she is distracted, she is quite happy! I am not able to nurse lying down. I have tried that!

Even I feel the weak suck is because of the bottle but I am not able to eliminate this last feeding as she doesnt sleep at all without her stomach full She doesnt like formula though!!

Thanks
    Prathibha
    Last edited by prathibha; March 3rd, 2006 at 06:21 PM.

I can "hear" how distressed you are by these changes in your nursing relationship. Her behavior at the breast leads you to worry that she is hungry and that your milk supply isn't keeping up with her appetite.

Her fussiness at the breast -- coming off frequently -- and now sucking poorly or weakly at the breast -- these are all consistent with nipple preference as a result of the bottle feedings. Also, giving her formula will undermine your milk supply, by interfering with the demand/supply process.

I suspect that she's having a growth spurt, leading her to want to nurse very, very frequently. If, when she nurses, she is getting any milk, you should be able to observe long sucks and hear her swallowing. The best indicator of good milk production and transfer (by which I mean, whether your breasts are making enough milk and whether your baby is getting it out of the breasts and into her tummy) will always be her daily diaper output and her growth over time. Not how often she nurses or how happy she seems to be between feedings, or whether you are able to express milk by hand or with a pump.

Nursing through a growth spurt really can be exhausting. I remember! Hours and hours and hours when I hardly got out of my chair. I would nurse my son for 40 minutes, hand him off to my husband, and 20 minutes later my husband was at the top of the stairs calling down, "Could he possibly be hungry again already?" Yup. And I found that as he got older, the growth spurts lasted longer -- several days at least.

I think the best thing you can do for your nursing relationship right now is to work on finding ways to be comfortable while you just settle in and nurse -- and don't give her any more bottles. She WILL eventually get tired and sleep. Have faith in your body's ability to provide what your baby needs.

If you want some pointers on how to nurse while lying down, post it in a new thread and I bet lots of moms will share ideas with you. I keep recommending this position because it took me quite a while to learn it also, but once I did, my life was transformed! I got enough rest and felt so much better about everything. It's really worth the effort.

--Rebecca

Thanks a million for your reply!!

>>I mean, whether your breasts are making enough milk and whether your baby is getting it out of the breasts and into her tummy) will always be her daily diaper output and her growth over time.

I am relieved to hear this!! She is definitely gaining good weight!! Infact my husband is worried that she will be obese and I am overfeeding her!!! But I know she is hungry and I have to feed her! I know she gets some milk when I feed her. Dunno how much though!

I didnt know that giving bottle just once a day could lead to problems!! Will take your advice and try not to give the bottle.

Hope things turn out well soon!!

Thanks a lot again! You seem to be having answers for everything

btw, I hope 1-2 bowel movements a day and 5-6 wet diapers is normal!

Regards
    Prathibha

Please rest assured that I most definitely do NOT have answers for everything. LOL!

I believe that diaper output is fine for a 2mo bf baby. And it's wonderful that she is gaining well.

How has the nursing gone since last night? I hope she is cooperating with your new strategy and that you are getting some rest.

--Rebecca

I did not giver her any formula yesterday And I am very happy about it! I nursed her and after that she cried a little and I rocked her and she slept in my arms for 15 mins. I put her in the crib and she woke up again in 5 mins. This happened twice and the third time she slept at 11:30 pm! Woke up again at 2:45 and 6 for feedings. Hopefully the same trend will continue! Thanks for all your help!!

Prathibha