Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will my frozen breastmilk be good for 12 months?

Default Will my frozen breastmilk be good for 12 months?

So we recently discovered our son doesn't tolerate dairy which I have eliminated from my diet for several weeks. He also has silent reflux. But I pumped and stored milk from July to October. The breastmilk will be 6 months by next month. I want to save it for when he can tolerate dairy again at 12 months possibly. But the breastmilk has just been in the freezer not deep freezer. If it was moved to a deep freezer now would it last until 12 months? It also includes a few bags of colostrum which I don't want going to waste...any advice would be appreciated!

Default Re: Will my frozen breastmilk be good for 12 months?

Even if deep freeze I think 6 months is the max? I think in your regular freezer the max you are supposed to leave it is 3 months. So the stuff from October (2months ago) is safe to be moved to deep freeze but the stuff from July should probably already be tossed.

Way too lazy for formula

Here are the current guidelines for breastmilk storage. Freezer compartment with separate door is 3-6 months, deep freezer is 6-12 months. It also notes that milk stored past these times is "usually safe."

http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...toringmilk.pdf

The wide variation is because these are international guidelines and circumstances vary (climate, how well the appliance works, reliability of electric service, how often the doors of the freezers are opened etc.)

Also while allergies do happen, and dairy is the most common, very often dairy (or something else) in mom's diet is erroneously blamed for a variety of issues in a breastfed infant.

Here is reliable information on that subject if you are interested:

Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine: http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/ful.../bfm.2011.9977

Dr. Jack Newman: (See section "Foreign proteins in Mother's Milk") : http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...gename=doc-CBB
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; December 14th, 2016 at 09:37 AM.

I used my pumped milk past the "best by date" and it was fine- my LO never got sick and never turned it away. I did not deep freeze it but I kept it in the bottom and back part of the freezer to keep it colder.

How long you can safely keep expressed breast milk depends on the storage method. Consider these general guidelines for healthy infants:

Room temperature. Freshly expressed breast milk can be kept at room temperature for up to six hours. However, use or proper storage within four hours is optimal. If the room is especially warm, the limit is also four hours.
    Insulated cooler. Freshly expressed breast milk can be stored in an insulated cooler with ice packs for up to one day.
    Refrigerator. Freshly expressed breast milk can be stored in the back of the refrigerator for up to five days in clean conditions. However, use or freezer storage within three days is optimal.
    Deep freezer. Freshly expressed breast milk can be stored in the back of a deep freezer for up to 12 months. However, using the frozen milk within six months is optimal.
    Keep in mind research suggests that the longer you store breast milk — whether in the refrigerator or in the freezer — the greater the loss of vitamin C in the milk. It's also important to note that breast milk expressed when a baby is a newborn won't as completely meet the same baby's needs when he or she is a few months older. Also, storage guidelines might differ for preterm, sick or hospitalized infants.