Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping schedule

Default Pumping schedule

Just wondered what some people think about how much I am pumping if it seems like a good amount to keep doing with what babies eating while im away.

My LOs bottle feedings seem to vary! She usually seems to eat on average 8-10oz give or take a little at daycare. Usually more with my husband for some reason (as much as 16 one day, but average maybe 12 with him) & I am away usually 11 hours? But she will eat like 1.5oz then a couple hours later maybe 3, then a few later maybe 4, then say another couple hours or a few another 1-1.5. Sometimes the amounts more consistent just varies. With my husband it is usually 3-4 oz a feeding! Her amounts have increased tho, she was beginning off only eating 1-1.5 ounces every idk 2-3 hours? When i first went back to work.
    She feeds off one breast when I BF her. (Also spreading out her feedings with me when I am off- Was feeding every 1-1.5 hours for a long time, now its every 2-3 more so).

Here is how im roughly pumping:
    7 or 730am- 4-6 oz depending when I last fed her!
    1030 (Most days unless super busy)- 4 oz
    1230 (lunch)- 4oz
    330ish- 4 oz.
    So I usually come home with about 16? Is this too much? or good? I don't wanna pump to little. Ive always seemed to have a good supply and can pump 4 oz in like 5-10 minutes! But also don't want to over produce where it causes too much at once for her bc I know my let down is fast. Some times she does choke once or twice while feeding- comes off and re latches. But its always been that way. Sometimes I let down a little in a towel but shell get mad if I wait too long. lol.

Also side question- the past couple days all of the sudden she has not wanted to bf when I get home! She wouldn't even latch, just got upset and turned her head away. I ended up getting her to giving her the paci and then taking it out and sneaking in. Once shes on and eating shes perfectly fine! This usually happens for 2 feedings then the 3rd early am shell latch herself...... Then like this am before work I fed her and had to use paci again bc she started to get upset and I didn't want her to go there bc I don't wanna cause a bad experience for her bfing! Never had issues weve had a great bfing experience so far. This is just all the sudden. Do you think shes just used to the immediate flow of the bottle and its just easier? (I work FT so she gets a bottle 5 days a week while im away, then I feed when im home and overnight a couple times and on weekends!) Bc once she latches shes perfectly fine.... idk I was stumpted the other day like what is going on!? I wanna make sure to keep the experience good for her so I can keep bfing at home.
    Last edited by @llli*asingleton5; December 8th, 2016 at 10:10 AM.

Default Re: Pumping schedule

It is normal for bottle intake to vary. So that is fine.

Assuming your baby nurses overnight, the rule of thumb is baby will drink about 1 to 1.5 ounces per hour of separation. This is based on the idea that the average total intake is 25-35 ounces per 24 hour day.

So if you are separated from baby 11 hours, typical intake should be between 11 ounces and 16.5 ounces.

But of course some babies will not need that much, and some might take more. What you want to watch out for is numbers consistently way above or way below this rule of thumb average.

It is generally best if bottles are small and more frequent as opposed to large and less frequent. Between one and four ounces is fine, but 4 ounces as a rule might be too much.

It sounds like you are pumping 16 ounces a day and pumping every 2-3 hours. That sounds fine.

I think in your other post you noticed baby nursing less often? This might indicate baby is being overfed with bottles. If this is happening on the days baby's intake is more than about 10 or 12 ounces, it may be that more than that is too much for your baby. It is really important baby is not fed so much with bottles that baby loses interest in nursing.

If baby does not want to nurse when you get home, first make sure baby is not being fed sooner than 2 hours before you get home. Also look at what baby was doing right before you get home. Is baby super tired? Cranky? etc.
    The reality is, separations from mom are stressful for a baby just as separations from baby are stressful for mom. How a baby deals with that stress will vary. Maybe baby just needs a little time to adjust to you returning before nursing. This does not mean in anyway baby is not happy to see you! Stress is a hormonal thing, and it will lesson as baby gets used to the separations.

If the pacifier helps baby to nurse at those weird times, great. Pacifier when you are at work is probably fine. Otherwise I would suggest not using pacifier other times when you are home and can nurse. Actively encouraging baby to nurse often for comfort as well as food and liquid when you are together will help tremendously in protecting your breastfeeding relationship.

It is important that bottles are given in a special way so they do NOT flow super fast and cause 'flow issues" for nursing baby. This is called paced bottle feeding and it involves positioning as well as helping baby take pauses. It is explained in the links below.

http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs

Okay well thank you for the reply madde! I know when my husband feeds her he does stop and burp her throughout. & I have watched a video on the paced feeding so I will make sure he does that and makes sure the flow isn't too upright and fast. & also the daycare! But at daycare she seems to vary her eating more. She doesn't typically drink 4 oz at daycare just on occasion. Usually it's 1.5, 2, or 3 there. So that's good.
    And on the nursing note, yesterday was better! When I picked her up from my moms and brought her home she was hungry so I fed her & she didn't need the paci to latch! Yay!! So I'm hoping maybe it was just a glitch and she'll still continue to nurse good! She did also poop yesterday and it's been several days- so I'm wondering if she' was just uncomfortable or anything. Guess anyone's guess is as good as mine and as long as she's nursing good again im not gonna worry too much about it.

OK, that all sounds great. Glad baby is nursing more normally.

Just so you know, burping baby throughout the feeding has nothing to do with paced bottle feeding. Burping several times over a feeding is a practice used to get more milk into baby that came about when it was the norm to put babies on feeding schedules of 4-6 hours apart so babies had to eat very large amounts at once and were gravity fed. I am not saying it is not sometimes necessary to help baby burp, but usually If your baby needs help to burp, baby will let the caregiver know. In general, paced feeding allows baby to take in the milk slowly enough that there is less need for burping.