Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: One side not producing much all of a sudden when pumping

Default One side not producing much all of a sudden when pumping

Hi ladies! I’m new to the forum.

A little about myself. Just started back at work (two days so far). Baby girl is 12 weeks old and I’ve been EBF as well as usually pumping once in the middle of the night regularly (usually around 2-3am after baby wakes for her one middle of the night feeding). There have been a couple of days where I’ve had to be separated from baby and had to pump a few times during the day while away with not too much trouble.

I’ve never responded great to the pump as I really have to use lots of massage and compressions, but still get usually 4 oz between the two breasts if there has been a good 3 hours since I’ve fed her or between pumpings.

My left side has been the better producer when feeding her and lets down much easier, but the right responds better to the pump usually, which is weird.

At work I’ve been pumping 3 times. About 2.5 hours apart. Anyways, the problem has been that all of a sudden now that I’m back at work I can’t get anything really out of my left side when pumping. Maybe a half an oz each session at work (so about 1.5 oz through the day). I know there’s more milk in there as this is the side that DD feeds off of better in the first place. I’m getting about 2.5 oz from the right side each time, but this is only adding up to 9 oz throughout the work day which won’t be enough to leave for the 9 hours I’m gone at work. I’ll keep pumping a middle of the night session to help offset, but my question is, why all of a sudden would my left side stop responding to the pump? Milk will flow well for about 30 seconds to a min and then just stop. On the right side it flows for a good 15 mins. I massage and use compressions, as well the entire time. I am really scared that this is going to mess up my supply on my left side!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Default Re: One side not producing much all of a sudden when pumping

Hi mama! Have you checked your pump parts at all? Perhaps your membranes need replacing? I know that's usually the first place to look, especially if you've been using your pump a fair amount, which it sounds like you have been. Otherwise, I'm not sure - hopefully the other pumping mamas will have a better idea of what's going on.