Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ugh already getting frustrated with oversupply again

Default Ugh already getting frustrated with oversupply again

My baby is 6 days old and for the past 3 days, my severe engorgement and oversupply are already making me want to quit. I understand engorgement is normal soon after birth but this is just so reminiscent of my last experience breastfeeding my son and it was horrible oversupply issues for 6+ months. Similarly to my son, my newborn daughter is screaming at the breast, pulling off, having a lot of difficulty latching on my rock hard breast. I know with my son he had a big aversion to nursing most likely due to all the unpleasantness that goes along with oversupply. I REALLY don't want that to happen again it was heartbreaking to have so many tears with every feed : (

Things I've tried so far: cabbage leaves, ice packs, hand expressing a tiny bit before a feed, pushing my fingers on my areolas around my nipple back towards my chest to soften (can't remember the name of this technique but I read about it on here). Nothing seems to be helping in the least bit.

I think because she is getting so much milk so quickly that's why she is only nursing usually for 5 minutes at a time. This isn't even taking a dent out of my enforcement (well it does relieve a bit of discomfort but even after she feeds, my breast and still very hard and lumpy). She sleeps most of he morning (I wake her to nurse after 2.5 hrs to nurse if she doesn't on her own but if she's still sleepy, she just falls asleep at the breast quickly again). Around 3pm she wants to start cluster feeding and this makes for a very frustrating evening because of the latching issues, chocking, screaming at the breast, etc.

So I guess I would like to know what I can do now? I know I should probably just wait it out because it's so early but if there is anything else I can do now I would love to try.

My breasts are never anywhere near to being emptied - will that tell my body to slow down the production? Sounds kind of the opposite of block feeding though since you're supposed to feed on one side until empty in certain situations? I'm switching sides every feed to relieve engorgement but many I need to stay on the same side until it's emptied?

What about block feeding or to a certain extent?

Also, would 1 cup of sage tea a day be a bad idea?

Thanks.

Default Re: Ugh already getting frustrated with oversupply again

My breasts are never anywhere near to being emptied - will that tell my body to slow down the production?
    Yes

Sounds kind of the opposite of block feeding though since you're supposed to feed on one side until empty in certain situations?
    Actually the point of block feeding is what happens to the blocked (not nursed from) breast during the block- it gets very full, and that tells the body to slow down milk production. If the other breast gets 'emptied' during the block (and it might or might not depending on how severe the OP is, how large a breast storage capacity mom has, and how long the block is) that is basically a side effect of block nursing and not the point of it. Frequent nursing where the breasts are never completely emptied sends the same message to the body- the message that the body is making too much milk. Block feeding where the blocked breast gets very full would be the same message but would tend to be a stronger message, but it carries more risks.

Did you see an IBCLC with your older child? Can you see one now? Severe hyperlactation may require more dramatic intervention but best if you are under the care of an experienced IBCLC for exploring that.

Thank you for responding! Maybe what I was a little confused about was that I think I remember something about a reason to pump your breasts empty before starting to block feed is because it's hard for the body to reabsorb all that milk (something about a milk lake?). I'm not considering doing that but wondered if my body was having difficulty reabsorbing all that excess milk?

I did not work with a consultant last time - is that something that insurance usually covers or is it out of pocket?

I went and saw a LC at the Breast Feeding Clinic at our local hospital. It was a $50 one time fee since I didn't deliver there but I could go whenever I wanted. It really helped me get through!

legally in USA under aca insurance is supposed to cover lactation services. So I would suggest look into that. However this does not mean the services offered under your insurance plan would be adequate. Legally I am pretty sure it is not specified that they have to offer adequate time with real (board certified) lactation consultants. Basically the insurer gets to define what lactation services means.

Additionally as pp says there may well be a low cost clinic or other subsidized option in your area. WIC offices sometimes offer excellent lactation services. Aside from doing your own research, I strongly suggest calling local breastfeeding coalitions and LLL as well as asking your peds and OB office and hospital maternity what they know is out there. Sometimes programs are 'hidden."

Unsubsidized appointments with IBCLCs were traditionally not typically all that expensive compared to other medical services. Before the aca unsubsidized appointments typically cost between 100 and 300 dollars, and many times could be done in your home. It is very possible the aca has driven those costs up but I do not know. You would have to call around in your area, obviously the cost is higher in some markets than others.

If you have a proper appt with an IBCLC that means you and baby are actively meeting with her for at least an hour, while of course if you see a doctor you would pay hundreds to see them for 10 minutes if it was not covered by insurance. If you are at the point you are thinking of giving up breastfeeding, I would suggest find a way to see an IBCLC first even if it means borrowing money. Formula will cost far more than a lactation consult.

Emptying the breast is not part of "normal" block feeding. Block feeding is meant to decrease milk production. Emptying the breasts increases milk production. It might happen as I said before, on the unblocked side. But it is not the point of block feeding.

There is a method called full drainage block feeding where BOTH breasts are "drained" by pumping to emptiness ONE TIME before commencing block feeding, with further "drainage" occurring only if and as needed. The theory is that this helps "reset" the breasts to start from scratch, and also may help moms with severe OP from developing plugs etc. when block feeding. I have no idea how much this is practiced or how LCs have found it to work for their clients. This is the kind of thing I would suggest seeing an IBCLC and getting her help before trying. However you can find the info about this method online if you search.

What to expect at a proper Lactation consult http://www.cwgenna.com/lconsult.html
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; November 30th, 2016 at 01:34 PM.

Thank you both very much! I will look into consultants in my area.

Good luck. OP can be very difficult I know from experience.