Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how to get enough hindmilk for 7 week old?

Default how to get enough hindmilk for 7 week old?

A while ago my now-7 week old started having a lot of green frothy poops, so I became concerned that he isn't getting enough hindmilk. At that time he was nursing very briefly (5-8 minutes at a time) and frequently, and I thought maybe he wasn't staying on the breast long enough to get to the hindmilk, so a friend recommended block feeding to help him get to it. At first I was afraid to try this because I didn't want to decrease my supply.

However, shortly after that I started to suspect that part of the problem is that he has been dealing with oversupply issues, because of the following signs:

-the green frothy poops--he has always had one or two of these on occasion but recently he's been having them almost exclusively. Even when they were the normal color they have always been extremely watery. They are always green now--sometimes green and frothy and sometimes green and sticky.They have also started smelling; they didn't before. He also struggles a lot with gas.
    -the timeline of his recent green poops has roughly corresponded with me feeling fuller and more engorged recently
    -he fusses and cries a lot while nursing
    -he sometimes coughs and gags
    -he stiffens his back and pulls away while nursing, sometimes after letting go and sometimes while still latched on
    -he either nurses very briefly or, when nursing longer, pops of and back on repeatedly
    -a good deal of milk leaks out of the corner of his mouth while he nurses
    -when he pops off I leak and squirt a lot

So for the past three days I have tried block feeding in 3 hour blocks to see if this could help both problems (the hindmilk issue and the oversupply). So far it doesn't seem to have affected his poops, but I know that could take a few days.

I'm just wondering if this is what I should be doing to help him, or if there is anything else you would recommend? I'm still a bit nervous about doing something that might mess with my supply this early (7 weeks) when things might not be totally regulated yet, but nursing does seem to be a struggle for him and I'm worried about the hindmilk issue.

Other potentially relevant information:
    He does not seem to have these nursing struggles at night or when he just woke up. At those times he nurses very quickly and efficiently, without fussing, and goes easily back to sleep.

During the daytime he exhibits all the signs I mentioned above, and generally never seems to be done nursing until he finally falls asleep from exhaustion. This happens with varying degrees of severity throughout the day and is worst in the evenings and early in the night, until I finally get him down the first time (which is usually around 11 or midnight, after a few hours of nursing struggles). Some of that might be his general fussy time mixed in with the nursing issues, I'm not sure. I feel like I'm constantly nursing him (or struggling to nurse him) during the day, then once he goes down at night, he nurses so easily and quickly throughout the night that he's like a totally different baby.

Thanks for your help!! Sorry this post ended up being so long.

Default Re: how to get enough hindmilk for 7 week old?

I would not recommend block feeding this early on. Have you tried just letting your letdown happen and then only having him latch on when it's done? That could help with the fussiness when you're trying to nurse him. Also, it may be helpful to hand express or pump a little bit before having him get on that way you lose some of the foremilk and he will get hindmilk more easily. Also that will not decrease your supply at all. It may increase it a little though, but I would think that is preferable in my opinion.

Thanks for helping! I haven't tried that. Would I latch him on immediately after let-down or wait a while?

How much would you recommend expressing? Like a few squirts or a more substantial amount?

I had similar issues. I think ibwas expressing too much cause my fullness wasn't going away. So I started expressing til I triggered letdown. Then sprayed into a towel. Then latched him. During feeding if I felt let down I would take him off, spray in a towel, then relatch and repeat as necessary. Also my LC said green seedy sticky poops are fine.

You can also nurse until you have a letdown, and take baby off, let the milk spray into a cloth for a few moments, then put baby back on. If you have OP it is best to avoid expressing too much 'extra' milk as that only tells the body to make more milk. So you probably do not want to express much milk, and not at times other than when baby is nursing. The exception would be if baby will not nurse and you are getting overly full and uncomfortable. Then you might want to hand express as needed.

Encouraging baby to nurse very frequently helps a lot. with fast letdown. If baby prefers to nurse one side at a time and is gaining well, that is also fine and may help. Leaning back so baby is more on top of you when baby nurses helps reduce flow.

Too little hindmilk is not a real issue. This is a widely spread misunderstanding of what (limited) research has indicated about how human breastmilk comes out of the breast and what form it takes as it comes. What can happen (some evidence suggests) is that if mom has a fast letdown (whether caused by over production or infrequent nursing or both) baby gets lots of higher lactose "foremilk" milk all at once, possibly causing generally very minor and temporary tummy issues. This is helped by the above ideas. Again normally these issues are very minor and do not require much intervention. If mom has severe over production, that puts her at higher risk of some medical concerns and needs to be managed carefully. But it is not going to hurt baby.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; November 29th, 2016 at 09:12 PM.

Thanks so much, everyone! I quit the block feeding and I'm going to try all this. It sounds like it will help a lot. And I'm very glad to know the hindmilk thing isn't as much of an issue as I'd thought.

His poops are almost never seedy, is that a problem? Everyone I've talked to seems to say that seedy is "normal," but his are always watery or sticky, and only very seldom is there anything I'd call seedy... is that still ok?

non seedy poops a-ok.

Thank you!!