Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping for back to work stash

Default Pumping for back to work stash

Hello,
    My babe is 3wks old and I wanted to start pumping for my back to work stash. I've been blessed enough to take 12 weeks maternity leave and will return 1/23/17. I will also be returning to school one night per week for 6 hours, starting next week.
    Currently, I pump once per day, in the morning, and get around 2-2.5oz in abt 15 mins. I pump on the opposite side he feeds from and massage/hand express while pumping.
    Babe feeds on one side every nursing session, meaning I rotate R or L. Currently, he eats every 2-3 hours around the clock, with cluster feedings around lunch and bedtime. He is gaining weight well and has normal amount of wet/poopy diapers.
    Is this routine ok? Or should I switch breasts each feeding and then pump both sides in the morning? Is pumping once per day on one side, in the morning, ok? I do switch which side I pump from each day. When offering him a bottle when I'm gone, how many oz should he be eating?
    Thank you!

Default Re: Pumping for back to work stash

Hi mindyme23, welcome to the forum!

This recent thread covers most of your questions I think. http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...08#post1369308

Please ask away with any questions. Many mom here have pump for work experience.

I think you will find that with both pumping and breastfeeding in general , there are not a lot of hard and fast rules. Every situation is so individual. Basically if you are comfortable and baby is gaining normally that usually means all is well. Typically it is fine to nurse one side at a time if that is what baby prefers and you are comfortable (not too full) between nursing sessions. You may find that as baby gets older he will prefer to nurse both sides at a time and this would also be normal. It is always fine to encourage baby to nurse more often if your body is sending that message- cue feeding means listening to and responding to both your body's cues and baby's cues. Kellymom has an excellent article about the early weeks you may like: http://kellymom.com/hot-topics/newborn-nursing/
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; November 26th, 2016 at 02:08 PM.