Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I doing this right?

Default Am I doing this right?

Ive been having to much milk on one side. The normal fullness feeling of the mornings is happening throughout the day. It's not painful at all, I just touch my breast and am like whoa! Hard! I've been hand expressing before baby eats. He's 2 months. When I hand expression and get my milk going it just flows and flows and flows. It takes forever to stop flowing. And when it's going all I have to do is lightly apply pressure to my breast and the strength of the flow gets even stronger. It's crazy. Most of the time baby is okay. He coughs a couple times a day when eating. He has days where he spits up more then others. His poop varies from neon seedy yellow to a frothy greenish yellow. (Not all green). I know this means he's not getting as much fatty milk but I attribute this to the supply issue on one side. He's gaining fine. He's is fussy at night 5pm-10pmish but not any other time during the day.

Im taking lecithin twice a day to to prevent clogged ducts (have for awhile). But i just want to make sure hand expressing (even as much as i am) and waiting for my body to adjust is whats best?

Also he typically only takes 1 breast per feeding.

Default Re: Am I doing this right?

Are you going back to work? Do you want a freezer supply? Or are you going to stay at home and be able to always feed on demand?

Way too lazy for formula

I will be able to always feed on demand

Are you usually hand expressing until the milk stops flowing? And how many times a day do you do that?
    I wonder if it is necessary to hand express as much as you are doing. Any milk removal above what baby takes will increase production, and of course if you are overproducing you may not want that to happen. On the other hand, you are concerned about plugs and getting overfull. So some hand expression may be helpful for that. It can be hard to find the right balance, and the best way to do that is to listen to your body and respond as appropriate. You may want to continue to hand express but not so long and not so often, maybe.

You can help baby handle the flow by encouraging baby to nurse more often (if you can, I know you have a fussy baby who will not nurse to comfort part of the day) and also by adjusting your nursing positions to help the milk flow a bit more slowly.

Green poops are not caused by baby not getting enough fatty milk. All milk has fat in it and if baby is gaining normally baby is getting the milk & fat baby needs. Green poops are usually just a variation on normal. If mom is overproducing or baby is nursing infrequently and mom has a fast letdown as a result, what might occur is baby gets lots of the higher lactose "foremilk" all at once. This is not a problem of lactose intolerance, as baby needs plenty of lactose to grow and thrive. But some think this issue of too much higher lactose milk all at once causes green poops, and it also can cause watery or explosive poops. But baby is not being harmed as the milk baby is getting has everything baby needs.

I'm hand expressing to get my areola soft and/or to get through my first (and strongest let down. I'm doing this maybe 1-3 times a day.

I'm concerned about the clogged ducts/mastitis when I'm that full cause even after he eats (if I haven't expressed) I am still really full. I may be expressing too much. I'm just so worried!

FYI my other boob just got ridiculously full. Great :/. Oversupply both sides?! I also feel necessary to mention I feel let I have let downs every couple mins when nursing. And even if my boob is more emotyed, or squishy, it still sprays.

So I guess just not so much expressing? My boob isn't gonna explode (kinda kidding) and I most likely won't get a plugged duct or mastitis (especially since I'm on lecithin)?

So is this a new issue that is cropping up? Or has it become worse? I wonder if what you are experiencing is related to baby not nursing as much as before?

I am not sure it is accurate to say one cannot get a plug or mastitis while on lecithin. I know lecithin, along with making sure mom stays in good general health (adequate food, water and rest (ha)) and being sure milk is removed from the breasts frequently is recommended for mothers who experience repeated plugged ducts, but that does not indicate how effective it really is in preventing that situation in every case.

Some moms have frequent noticeable letdowns. There is nothing unusual about that. Also some moms are just sprayers and/or leakers. Usually this calms down after a few months as milk production calms down. If anything leaking or being able to easily express milk is a good thing, as a mom who can get milk out easily from her breasts is less likely to have the issues related to milk stasis- engorgement, plugs and mastitis.

How fast is baby gaining? You may have an overproduction situation here, and that is usually well indicated by more rapid than average weight gain in the exclusively breastfed baby. (rapid weight gain due to this is not in any way a health issue in the breastfed baby.)

Usually milk production calms down entirely on its own over time. Many moms who had OP early on find that by 3-4 months at the latest those worries are gone. Milk production takes energy, and so our bodies will not want to expend more energy than is needed. However some moms do find they need to take more aggressive steps to reduce production, and that usually means block feeding.

If you are only expressing milk 1-3 times a day total, that is not all that often. Also if you are only getting to/through the first letdown, it is not like you are "emptying" the breast. Frequent "extra" milk removal and "emptying" the breast are the actions that increase milk production. As long as those actions are being kept to a minimum, then it is fine to hand express as needed in my opinion. On the other hand, if you do not really need to hand express, no reason to do it.

If you think you have OP and that it is problematic - causing or likely to cause health problems for you, then it might make sense to try block feeding, as this is an effective method of reducing production. But you will want to read up on that first and take it slow. I will link info below.

Personally I had OP with all three kids and never block nursed. I nursed baby very frequently and waited it out and that worked fine for me. But that is only my personal experience.

And while of course it is very smart to try to avoid them, I would say try not to be too fearful. Neither plugs nor mastitis are the end of the world. The vast majority of the time, these things happen, mom takes care of it, get better, etc. and life goes on.

Watch out for the holiday season. I have heard this time of year referred to as "mastitis month." This is because moms get busy and 1) Do not get adequate rest and 2) do not encourage baby to nurse often enough. Your baby is still a newborn and it is important to stay in newborn mode, holidays or no.

Here is info on block feeding. http://cwgenna.com/blockfeeding.html and http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/artic...dos-donts.html
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; November 27th, 2016 at 12:31 AM.

If you are going to be able to feed on demand and it's not painful, I would stop hand expressing if you can get away with it. The extra expressing, when you aren't looking for a freezer stash is just extra demand. And what you really want is for your supply to calm down. If it causes any pain, discomfort or clogged ducts then of course go back to hand expressing to take the edge off. But if you are getting that much EXTRA milk, the only way to make less milk, is to stimulate your breasts less.
    's

Way too lazy for formula

I think I do have OP. Relating all back in week 3 or 4, when my nipples were so sore I couldn't nurse, so I pumped and bottle fed. Well, I wasn't pumping enough to meet his needs and didn't want to supplement with formula. So I took fenugreek for a few days, got to where I needed pumping, and quit taking it. Since then I've have OP issues on and off.

I also wondered if he wasn't nursing as much and that was causing it. We are just back home from visiting realitives. He slept longer stretches on the (omg I know) 11 hour drive. Things seem to be better since we've been home.

He gained weight faster than normal in the beginning. I think it's leveling out. His last weight check he was 10lb 3oz but that was over a week ago. He has his 2 month checkout tomorrow and will be weighed. He was born at 5lbs 11oz

I think I am just gonna be a leaker/sprayer. Which doesn't really bother me. I've been trying to delatch him when I feel a let down. It just blows my mind how the milk sprays.

I haven't taken the lecithin since we got home either. Since I haven't felt as "full". I really don't want to take any measures to decrease my supply. That just scares me. I don't want to end up NOT having enough. Thatd be devastating. So I think I'll probably do you what did and wait it out. I still feel like my body will do what it needs to do. I just need to trust it. I just wanted to make it more comfortable for baby and make sure I wasn't going to get mastitis (or something) that would prevent me from BF. I also feel bad when he gets sprayed or chokes, I don't want him to go on a nursing strike. Is that common with fast let down? For them to refuse the breast?

Well OP and OALD are very different. And babies that deal with OALD usually learn to cope. I had OALD and my baby was a clicker and also he would Pop off in anticipation of the strong letdown.

Way too lazy for formula

I meant OS, over supply not OP.

Different yes but I think I might have both. However I think the OS is getting better. And I'm just unlatching him during my letdowns and that's helping I think