Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple injury with one sided feeder

Default Nipple injury with one sided feeder

Hi Ladies,

This is on behalf of my sis who is nursing her 18 month daughter. Well from the beginning her lo had strong preference for one side, which my sister did not mind. So she continued to nurse one sided and baby gained plenty of weight and had no.issues.

Fastforward 16 months lo started breaking her molars, which led to frequent and long night nursing, understandbly my sister nursed her side laying. But due to exhaustion and sleep deprivation on many occasions she did not unlatch her, this meant an imperfect latch, which punctured her underside of nipple with front 2lower teeth's. This is causing lot of pain and plugged ducts to my sis. To make matters worst she can't rest that nipple as her other side has almost dried up and baby refuses it even in her sleep.

OB is almost useless who suggested no concrete method to help heal the crack. A local lady GP has suggested a regime of bacitracin and silver based ointment (megaheal). And having maximum 6 nursings till nipple heals completely. This has lead to some improvement but baby is cranky and whiny as she misses her milkes. Thankfully she is much better solid eater so no issues nutritionally.

So Ladies can you share your advices.to help heal her nipple as fast as possible. Also last time I heard from her, there was non milk oozing fluid from the injury.

So your urgent help will be appreciated.

Default Re: Nipple injury with one sided feeder

Ouch.

When my daughter bit me but good at about 9 months, I figured out that reversing the latch allowed me to nurse more comfortably. Not entirely comfortably, but at least I could stand it and could start to heal. My injury was also on the underside of my nipple, caused by bottom teeth. So to reverse it, I would lie down and pull her over my shoulder to nurse, so her top teeth were at the bottom of my nipple and those ouchy bottom teeth at the top. Or she could try changing the positioning so baby approaches the breast from the side.

There are so many things to do that supposedly speed healing. It is a matter of finding what works for mom. I think kellymom suggests salt water soaks http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplehealing/ and of course nipple ointment such as lanolin is effective for many moms.

I do think it makes good sense to use a antibactial ointment or otherwise protect nipple as best as possible from infection. Catherine Watson Genna suggests gentle soap and water wash 1 or 2 times a day for injured nipple. http://cwgenna.com/nhygiene.html

While healing she may want to have baby rinse her mouth with water if she is nursing right after eating as some foods might cause stinging on the wound.

Thanks MaddieB,

For the prompt response. I guess reversing the latch will help, but how willing is the baby going to be to get latched in that position that only actual expirence will.tell.

Also I worry since nursing just 6 times in a.day will cause milk.statsis leading to plugs. She does not respond well to pumping(manual) am advising her hand express as much as possible

Thanks a lot again

My baby nursed fine that way. Toddlers can nurse in amazing number of positions, and if that is what mom is offering and baby wants to nurse, I imagine they will figure it out. Of course no matter what position she uses, she will need to be making sure baby is latching properly with a wide open mouth. Positioning baby so her chin is not tucked and head has room to tilt back slightly will probably help baby latch better in general. If baby is latching in a way that is not causing further injury, mom can nurse as much as she likes. Hand expression as needed is an excellent idea.

I wonder if she could get baby to nurse on the other side using an instant reward technique.

Also if she is having discharge I wonder if she needs to see a doctor? If there is an infection already she may need antibiotics.