Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Afraid of new employer

Default Afraid of new employer

I will be almost 3 mos pp. I've decided to go back waitressing but still want to breastfeed. My shift will about at most 5 hours long. Baby is eating about 3 hours or so sometimes 2 hours. How can I make this work? And should I wait to say something to the new employer after being hired or before? I don't want them to not hire based off that. There wouldn't be proof incase of legal issues. Has anyone waitress and pump?

Default Re: Afraid of new employer

Is this a potential new job, or is this the place you worked before having baby?
    First I would suggest familiarize yourself with pumping in the workplace laws in your state or wherever you live before deciding how to approach this issue with your employer/potential employer. If the laws are unclear (they often are) I would suggest talking to a local breastfeeding coalition, local LLL and perhaps your local EEOC.

If you can arrange it so your total separation is no more than 5-6 hours, and your baby can nurse right at the beginning of that separation and right at the end, AND nurses at least 8 times total every 24 hours, it is possible you will not need to pump at all. It depends on how your body responds to that long a period of time of no milk removal- in other words, if you become uncomfortably full with milk, or not. An alternative to taking a full on pump break would be to take a short break to hand express, and in that case you might not have to tell anyone anything about it and treat it as a restroom break.

If you are concerned about having milk to leave for baby during your work shift, I would suggest that in the scenario above, baby may not need any milk for such a short separation, although you probably will want to leave one bottle of maybe about 3 ounces so caregiver can give baby something. Perhaps you can pump that much during other parts of the day, or start stockpiling a frozen stash for this now. Or maybe caregiver can bring baby to work one time, for you to nurse baby?

I do not want to suggest you should hide the fact you need to pump or should avoid pumping at work. It is certainly your moral right and should be your legal right to pump at work as often as you need to in order to protect not only your milk production but also your health! But the sad fact is actual laws sometimes do not protect the breastfeeding mother as well as they should, so I am simply suggesting that in your case, working a fairly short shift, there may be a work around if needed.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; November 13th, 2016 at 11:26 AM.