Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Trying to relactate and it stopped working

Default Trying to relactate and it stopped working

So I recently decided to start the process of relactating, I stopped pumping after 2 1/2 weeks after my daughter was born she wouldn't latch on so I was exclusively pumping, I was extremely overwhelmed and couldn't emotionally and physically handle the stress of it all. She's now 6 months old and everything has calmed down and I regret giving up so easily. I had a friend recently come up to recently and she spoke about relactating and I had no idea that was possible so I read up on it a little bit and started taking fenugreek and pumping as much as I could. My nipples were very sore and sensitive for the first few days. It's been about a week now and at first I was getting just a little drop that didn't fall off my nipples and it was super thick. The next couple of days it was getting thinner and I was getting a little more and more. I actually had a few drops fall down into the bottle of my pump, the drops were a clear watery yellow. Well the other day I was doing my regular pumping and all the sudden I was getting barely anything out and now two days later I'm literally getting nothing. My nipples don't hurt anymore at all. When pump now it doesn't hurt at all it's like my nipples have grown accustomed to it even though I'll have it on the highest setting. And as soon as I'm done pumping for my 20 minutes I take the pump off and my nipples are bone dry. They aren't cracked or hurting or anything. I don't know if it's something I've done wrong or if I'm just completely dried up, or if what I was getting out before was what I had left from when I stopped a few months ago. I just really need some guidance and help with this if anyone could shed some light I would appreciate it so much!!

Default Re: Trying to relactate and it stopped working

Welcome to the forum!

Some questions for you:
    - What sort of pump are you using?
    - How often are you able to pump per day?
    - Are you taking any form of hormonal contraception, any other medications?

I'm using an evenflo double electric pump! And I usually just try to pump when I can, so I'd say that I pump 5-8 times per day. And no I don't take any medication!

Okay, in that case you probably want to trade up to a better pump. For a mom pursuing relactation, that is likely to be a hospital-grade rental machine like a Medela Lactina. You're also going to want to use the correct size of shields, so a visit to a LC, preferably an IBCLC, is probably a good idea.

The other thing you want to do is to pump as often as possible. More pumping = faster return to milk production. 8 sessions per day is great, 8-10 is better, 10-12 would be ideal, especially if some of them occur overnight. But if you can only manage 5-8, that is FINE- it's better to do what you can than to shoot for perfection and then get discouraged when you don't achieve it.

Are you open to taking some herbal supplements, like fenugreek?

She's taking fenugreek I took more milk special blend , which might be even more helpful , but who knows...brown rice and oatmeal help me.