Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Chipped tooth and nipple pain

Default Chipped tooth and nipple pain

Hello mamas, my daughter is 14 months and I have been having pain in one breast for the past two weeks. She started walking around nine months and took a pretty hard fall a few months ago that chipped one of her teeth. I have not had any problems until recently. At first I thought it was a plugged duct or that I was finally going to get my period or that my pump flanges were suddenly too small. Tonight after a long session I noticed redness and an indentation exactly where that chipped tooth would be. So I figure that the pain is from nipple trauma and is radiating to the rest of my breast. I do not want to start weaning but I am very uncomfortable. She is nursing on the other side with no pain. Do you think this will pass as more teeth come in? Any suggestions? Thank you!

Default Re: Chipped tooth and nipple pain

Can you ask a dentist to file the tooth?

When my daughter was about 9 months old she bit me really badly and I had a wound above my nipple where her top incisors penetrated the skin. Nursing in such a way that her top front teeth hit that spot was excruciating. I found that by lying down and pulling her over my shoulder, I could completely reverse her latch and that made nursing 'almost' comfortable while I healed.

Thank you for such a quick response! I will call a dentist tomorrow and see what they recommend. I just worry about how invasive that would be and I'm sure she wouldn't hold still for it! I will also try some different positions but she is just so busy that she usually is only nursing on the fly. At least for the long sessions at night I will try something new. Maybe I can let that side heal for a few days and go from there. Thanks again!

Filing chipped teeth that are causing breast injury is a suggestion LLL has made for many years, so I hope any decent pediatric dentist should have no difficulty quickly filing a chipped baby tooth to make it smooth enough it is not longer injuring you to nurse. But of course many dentists understand nothing about breastfeeding and even (wrongly, according to the evidence and even the ADA) tell moms of toddlers that nursing causes tooth decay. So, I hope you find a dentist who understands the value of nursing. Filing should be a very minor procedure- you are just wanting to get a smoother edge, not a perfect smile. And this is as good a time as any to introduce your child to seeing a dentist.

For healing or preventing further injury, a nipple shield might also help?

I wanted to write back and update you all. We found a pediatric dentist and had my daughter's tooth filed. It was very quick and easy and she hardly cried (just from being held down). No pain now and still happily nursing! Thanks for the advice.

Great news! Thank you for the update!