Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this thrush?

Default Is this thrush?

I noticed some redness in my areola area the other day. When i nurse ir pump, it stings a bit just like how sunburn feels like. It is a bit painful to nurse or pump but tolerable. I wanted my baby to nurse more often because she empties it more efficiently than the pump but im scared it is thrush. I checked my baby's mouth for white patches, she has none i believe. She only has white thing on her tongue which i believe is milk residue. I try to remove it and some of it gets removed. I dont feel any pain after pumping or nursing except for times when my clothes touches the areola area. I also put nipple cream on my areola to relieve pain. Please help.

Default Re: Is this thrush?

Is this happening on one side or both, and is the discomfort only on the areola or nipple as well?

Thrush is a possibility, (Baby having no symptoms is common) but pain on one side and/or only on the areola sounds more like an irritation from latch or from pumping, that is being exacerbated by clothing rubbing. There is a product called breast shells that a mother can wear inside her bra or tank top (or similar top that is somewhat snug) that allows such irritations to heal by preventing the clothing rubbing. http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fee.../breast-shells Of course you can also try going topless as much as possible, but when that is not possible, shells can help a lot. It does look a bit weird to wear them under your clothes but healing will happen much more quickly.

Some moms become irritated from whatever topical cream they are using, so you want to rule that out.

Next time you pump, look at where your areola is coming into contact with the flange when your nipple is pulled in to see if it corresponds at all to where you feel the pain. Make sure the areola is not getting pulled into the tunnel as well, and rubbing. If it is, you may need a smaller flange. If the nipple is rubbing, you may need a larger flange. In either case you can also try lubing up the flange with just a thin layer of a safe oil, like olive oil.

Even if it is thrush, there is no reason at all to stop or reduce nursing. Thrush can be treated while baby continues to nurse. If you are concerned baby will get thrush, do not be. Thrush is going to hurt you far more than baby, most of the time baby does not even notice. And in any case if you have thrush your baby almost surely already does as well. In any case you will both need to be treated, at least that is the most widely accepted protocol for thrush treatment.

This article can tell you more about thrush: http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-CP
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; November 5th, 2016 at 09:30 PM.

Thanks MaddieB.

It's just the areola part of my right breast which is affected. My nipple seems to be okay. I touch it at times to test if it is painful, but it isnt. It is only half of the areola which is red and seems to be burning and stinging when you touch it.

I dont know if this info would help but there has been no change in the milk output i make every feeding. I'll try to observe how my breast interacts with the flange and will lubricate it next time i pump

The burning pain subsided a bit but the surrounding area of areola is red. Now Im worried is this mastitis? I dont have any fever or chills and i dont feel any lump. No engorgement as well. Im a bit worried with the redness though. Sorry if i sound paranoid. I had a history of oversupply and engorgement and an abscess formed on my left before.

I do not think anything that localized would be thrush, but I am not sure.

Mastitis means you have a bacterial infection in the breast and you would feel ill, although in the very early stages you might not feel ill yet. A plug would feel like a lump or bump (or more than one bump) well under the skin- inside your breast tissue. A bleb is basically a plug that appears on the surface of the nipple at a nipple pore. So what you are describing does not sound like any of these.

Again I think this may be an area of irritation and/or bruising from latch and/or pumping. Another possibility is some other type of skin condition?

My best suggestion at this point if this does not clear up or begin to obviously improve today would be to see an IBCLC and/or a dermatologist. Of course it would be good to see a dermatologist with some knowledge about breastfeeding.

Unfortunately my doctor said it is mastitis. Never had fever or anything to suspect but says it is mastitis

So doctor examined you and diagnosed that you have mastitis? Did they prescribe antibiotics?

Here is info on mastitis and plugs from reliable sources for your information so you can check what these say against your symptoms. If your doctor has diagnosed mastitis and you think they are wrong, you can ask for a second opinion or ask what diagnosing tools they are using.

This is a mastitis protocol written by and for doctors: http://www.bfmed.org/Media/Files/Pro...tis6.30.14.pdf

Here is info directed more toward mom: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/

If the problem is mastitis, it is treatable and you can and should continue to nurse baby and pump as needed during treatment.