Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My Milk Supply Is Fading, please help!

Default My Milk Supply Is Fading, please help!

I have been breastfeeding my daughter for 5 months now and everything was going great until about a month ago when it seemed that my supply was getting lower. I was usually able to get at least 3 + ounces of milk out of my breasts per feeding but now its gone down to about 2 oz per feeding and I know she is not getting enough. I have no idea whats changing and why this is happening. I am in the process of talking with our pediatrician but I am very stressed about my milk supply going away and her being hungry all the time. She hasnt been crying or anything so at least she cant be that hungry or I would assume she would be letting me know. Things that have changed recently have been that Ive recently got my period for the first time since giving birth so maybe its hormonal and I am not waking up as much to feed my daughter, only twice per night. Maybe I should try to drink a lot more water ? Any advice would be very appreciated. Please help.

Default Re: My Milk Supply Is Fading, please help!

Welcome to the forum!

First question: are you able to stay home with the baby, or are you back at work? The reason I ask is that if you are home and nursing when the baby asks, and only pumping once in a while, this is probably not a problem and you probably don't need to do anything except to continue what you are already doing. If you are back at work and struggling to fill daycare bottles, then there may be an issue and we're going to come at you with different suggestions.

As time goes on, it is normal for milk supply to adjust to meet baby's needs very precisely. When your baby is a newborn and your milk has just come in, milk tends to be extra abundant. This abundance ensures that the baby gets fed while she is mastering the tricky art of breastfeeding. When you have extra milk, it's easy to pump lots of milk with little effort, and you're likely to feel full fairly often, particularly if the baby has a longer-than-average stretch of sleep. But making extra milk is not something you want to do in the long term. It's a waste of energy, and it puts you at increased risk for plugged ducts and mastitis. So after a while, your body "read" the baby's demand and uses that to calibrate supply so that it meets her needs very precisely. Once that adjustment occurs, you will rarely feel full, and milk is going to be more difficult to pump.