Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD/Reflux/Going back to work

Default OALD/Reflux/Going back to work

I am at a loss as what to do with my DD, 2.5 months old. I was unable to BF my first child due to a breast reduction in 2009. With my second, I was bound and determined to do whatever it took. On advice from my LC, I pumped on one breast while feeding DD with the other to increase supply. I would also pump after every feed. Finally! I was making milk and DD was happy! That is until the green, frothy poops came. Along with them was noticeable discomfort, strain and fussiness. She was also choking at the breast and pulling away. Another visit to my LC determined my OALD and reflux. Also, it was determine my now oversupply was giving DD more foremilk causing the green poop. I have one week left of maternity leave. I have to pump to leave milk for our nanny. How do I pump more hindmilk? How can I tame my oversupply? I am pleading for answers as this issue is completely taking over my head space. Please help!
    Last edited by @llli*finnerty51; October 23rd, 2016 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Mistake

Default Re: OALD/Reflux/Going back to work

Hi and welcome to the forum!
    As a mom who had overproduction through three babies I want to assure you that usually these issues are not as serious as we think. Yes having a big oversupply can make poops be explosive green watery frothy etc and copious. It can cause some additional gas discomfort for baby and it can cause lots of spit up- but none of these things are medical issues or are causing any permanent harm. And all of these things may happen even when there is no oversupply. Babies are fussy. green poops can be entirely normal. reflux as in spit up is normal. And can happen regardless of whether a mom has overproduction or not. If you mean painful reflux - Gerd -again this is a separate issue from overproduction. However often overproduction symptoms are blamed on gerd.

Anyway the easiest and simplest way to handle overproduction symptoms is to nurse the baby frequently. Presumably your baby is gaining extremely quickly as that would be consistent with severe overproduction. In that case it is fine to have baby nurse one side at a time and encourage baby to nurse frequently - this is a quick and easy and entirely unharmful way to help baby get a little less for milk which means baby will get more hindmilk.

If you have true severe overproduction then block feeding may be helpful and appropriate. The lactation consultant expert Nancy Mohrbacher has a good article on her blog about block feeding which I would suggest read before attempting this.

For work you can try a couple different things first off I would suggest make sure you're not over estimating how much milk you will actually need to have stashed before you return to work. If you go to the Kelly mom website she has a great article on how much milk to leave for baby when you are at work. Typically what you want is to have enough milk for the first day back and then whatever cushion aside from that you're comfortable with. If you know you respond well to the pump and are going to have time enough and opportunities enough to pump when you are at work then you probably don't need as much of a cushion does that make sense?
    you want to pump enough milk but not more than enough because of course pumping only increases milk production as you have discovered.

Before you return to work the easiest way to have more hindmilk when you pump would be to pump directly after baby nurses. Hindmilk is the milk that comes towards the end of the nursing session so if baby has nursed then what you pump is going to be more likely to be hindmilk.

Once you're back at work to help you get more hindmilk, again more frequent than is typical pumping might work- if you're going to do this you might want to pump one side at a time or have shorter pumping sessions.

Remember the issue is not that your baby is not getting enough hindmilk at the breast. The issue is actually the baby is getting too much foremilk that's what causes the symptoms that are concerning you. Again this is not hurting your baby.

The other piece of overproduction- and usually the much more serious part of it medically speaking- is how OP is affecting mom -you do not mention how if you are uncomfortable getting full, plugs, engorged etc. between nursing sessions that kind of thing - this of course is also going to be something you need to be very careful about when you return to work and are pumping part of the day possibly on a schedule instead of nursing on cue.