Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply is lacking

Default Supply is lacking

My 11 month old (he'll be one in 2 weeks, which is sad for me), is partially weaning himself. I own my own business and my work days are busy leaving me little opportunity to pump these days. I'm lucky if I pump once during the day, I'm only getting maybe an oz when I pump. I'm a lazy pumper I'm just so sick of being hooked up to it. When we started this journey I was an over producer, and so I would only pump 1-2 times a day and get a full days worth of milk. Now my boobs are tiny and I feel like there's nothing left in them even though I know baby is drinking from me. Baby nurses 2-3 times a day. He refuses to nurse if we're out and about as he's too busy. I'm letting him decide when we are done. But here's my question.
    Since I am not producing a stash any longer to continue breastmilk while we are apart do I start giving him cows milk? I'll be honest I'm not a fan of dairy and really don't want to do that. LO is not a picky eater so I feel he gets plenty of nutrition and good fats in his diet. What about coconut or almond milk? Or because he is still nursing 2-3 times a day and he does have a good diet do I not worry about it at all and only give him water during the day when he's at daycare or we're out?

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right spot, any advice is much appreciated. I'm kind of lost with what our next step should be with my once over supply now being very under and inadequate.

Default Re: Supply is lacking

Welcome to the forum!

Until 12 months, you're supposed to supplement with formula if you don't have enough breastmilk. If baby is only nursing 2-3x per day, and is only getting 1 oz of expressed milk, my feeling is that a bottle of formula is probably something you want to throw into the mix. It's the closest thing to breastmilk that you can feed your baby, and therefore what you want to supplement with for the time being.

Once baby hits 12 months, you can give him whole cow's milk or goat's milk or other whole-milk dairy products (yogurt, cheese, kefir), or a carefully selected menu of non-dairy solids and beverages. If you choose not to use animal milk, you should talk to your child's doctor. Coconut and almond milk are not acceptable replacements for breastmilk or dairy products in a child's diet- they don't have the right mix of fats/protein/carbohydrate/calcium.

It's often said that nursing just 3-5x per day is sufficient to meet a child's needs for "dairy". If you increase your nursing frequency, you can avoid the question of what to give your baby instead of your milk.

What do you think, mama?

It's not AAP recommended, however , 2 weeks shy of 12 months , I would not buy formula , but would personally choose full fat cow's milk. Almond milk is more like juice and not high in fat or calories and I do not recommend that.

You're doing great momma! I was uncomfortable at the transition you're at now. Baby REALLY starting tapering off and was nearly weaned at 10-11 months, but we're at 18 months tomorrow and he still comfort nurses sometimes. Skips days sometimes, or several times per day if he's not feeling good. Loving every minute because I know it's almost over. <3 <3 They grow up way too fast! Baby drinks about 16 oz of whole cow milk per day too. Sometimes he'll nurse for a bit and then ask for a cup of milk. Sometimes he'll nurse and then sign "all done". My advice is to follow your child's lead and do what is right for you and your baby. <3 <3